In the diagnosis system so over whelmed and confused please help

Hi

a bit of background info:

My 7 year old son is currently in the process of being diagnosed (the suspect Asperger/high function). His school, although i love it, didnt and still arent convinced he has an issue so i took him the our gp and he was refereed straight away and has now been seen by a consultant which went really well and he has been given melatonin which is working wonders allowing him to get to sleep (gets his brain to shut down as he says). He has blood tests next week for gene mapping and ive been told the results will take 2-3 weeks and i will hear from them then. But then what....????

His school have yet to be involved  as hes is quite intelligent and he very good a hiding it until he gets home, it looks like he plays with his peers but he will play along side them but not with them and prefer to seek out adults etc. while i'm not concerned about his academic achievement its the social side that worries me. What can i ask the school to put in place for him and do i have to wait until i get a diagnosis or can this be done along side the assessment at the hospital??? and how would i go about it.

its also been mentioned to me about DLA and you can get this before your diagnosis?? 

he also love theme parks and we have merlin annual passes but he doesnt like how close people get to him in queues so i can get a letter from his doctor so he wont have to queue. Will they do this without an official diagnosis 

I'm so over whelmed and confused but everything please can some help guide me through this.

Parents
  • Go to the school and arrange a meeting with the class teacher and the SENCO  to give them information on the process to date. The most important adjustment to get is school awareness.

In terms of things like queues at theme parks, I am  thinking that him sleeping better might give you a better chance of dealing with crowded places and queues. I suggest you ask him what he could do to calm himself, practice it in some.settimgs like the  supermarket, make sure you have a plan for.a day at the theme park that includes regular quiet times between queues. Planning the route and giving him either or choices on rides will help (all organised the day before so he can prepare).

Although your concern is his education, learning to deal with a neurotypical world is very important too, and I would work developing strategies to cope with that even before the diagnosis is formal

• Go to the school and arrange a meeting with the class teacher and the SENCO  to give them information on the process to date. The most important adjustment to get is school awareness.

In terms of things like queues at theme parks, I am  thinking that him sleeping better might give you a better chance of dealing with crowded places and queues. I suggest you ask him what he could do to calm himself, practice it in some.settimgs like the  supermarket, make sure you have a plan for.a day at the theme park that includes regular quiet times between queues. Planning the route and giving him either or choices on rides will help (all organised the day before so he can prepare).

Although your concern is his education, learning to deal with a neurotypical world is very important too, and I would work developing strategies to cope with that even before the diagnosis is formal

Children
No Data