Biting and head banging!

my 4 year old son who is in non verbal and on the spectrum has in the last several months developed new behaviours including biting and head banging! 

My feeling  is the head banging is a self regulatory behaviour and the biting is just him being a little tinker! So I think the two behaviours need to be handled differently but I am unsure where to start. His understanding is very limited. Any ideas!!

Parents
  • My son used to bang his head, he now just taps it with his hand but when he was younger it was scary. I dealt with this by diversion, redirecting him to something else, same thing should work a lot of the time for biting, both of these are done for sensory input. Play doh, kinetic sand, quicksand made with cornflour and water are all tactile and fun sensory things that might help. Obviously if your child does this during a moment of upset its advisable to stop them from hurting themselves. Good luck.

• My son used to bang his head, he now just taps it with his hand but when he was younger it was scary. I dealt with this by diversion, redirecting him to something else, same thing should work a lot of the time for biting, both of these are done for sensory input. Play doh, kinetic sand, quicksand made with cornflour and water are all tactile and fun sensory things that might help. Obviously if your child does this during a moment of upset its advisable to stop them from hurting themselves. Good luck.

Children
No Data