Learning a new language.

Hey folks.

Quick question if I may please. Just curious if anyone is aware of difficulties with learning a new language (be it adults or children) is common enough for people on the spectrum to be note worthy?

I always struggled with them in the parts of education where I was required to try and learn them, the obligatory year of French and a smattering of German back in comprehensive and I recall never enjoying the lessons one bit compared to my interest in the natural sciences. Beyond that I always had great trouble expressing myself in general but especially in hand written text, right at the tail end of my education I got a check and was told I had a relatively mild form of dyslexia, which I've tried my best to self correct over the years. Yet now, in hind sight, it occurs to me that it could be more than that.

Anyway, I'm trying to self learn Swedish with no formal education and minimal help from my partner. I can, through force of will, and nothing but overwhelming flooding get some to stick from a comprehension standpoint, as translation of the written form is little more than brute memory. But using it creatively, especially speaking I'm finding daunting to say the least. I'm sure some of it is simply my low confidence and lack of structure and peers but as I said, just curious if this is a "thing" with Aspergers (if I have it that is).

Thanks in advance for anyone that can provide any kind of info' on this.

Matt.

Parents Reply Children
  • What are specific things you would like it to have or not have? I find Duolingo quite good, at least for vocabularies. I like particularly that it is quite flexible in terms of accepting translations that are correct but are not the same as it taught you. A friend used something else (not sure what) and this was very rigid - maybe it was a bit autistic ;-) This would drive me nuts. Duolingo uses whole sentences, maybe they all do that now. It's not specific for autistic people, but then, if you have met one autistic person...