Secondary school

Hiya.I'mnew to all this.My asd son is 10.Due to start secondary in 12months and it terrifies me.We had chosen a school for him but he is adamant he doesnot want to go there and wants to go to the school the rest of his class are going to.He has a statement for 17.5 hours per week.Its 12 minths away and i am already not sleeping,feeling physically sick at the though.Have others felt this way? How have your children got on in secondary?? Good and bad replies welcome.Thankyou in advance x

Parents
  • My 12 year old found the transition itself OK, but I did find his anxiety levels were much higher and didn't reduce. I think it was the shock of having to be really organised, which is tricky for him. Even moving from class to class was hard going and he started soiing too. My advise it to make sure you get them as organised as possible with a clear place to put books and lots of space, lots of stationery, I buy from the £1 shop as mine has short term memory problems and losses everything. We also used a wipe board in his bedroom. Any worries, contatc the school and keep doing so if you are worried at any point.

• My 12 year old found the transition itself OK, but I did find his anxiety levels were much higher and didn't reduce. I think it was the shock of having to be really organised, which is tricky for him. Even moving from class to class was hard going and he started soiing too. My advise it to make sure you get them as organised as possible with a clear place to put books and lots of space, lots of stationery, I buy from the £1 shop as mine has short term memory problems and losses everything. We also used a wipe board in his bedroom. Any worries, contatc the school and keep doing so if you are worried at any point.

Children
No Data