Deaf BSL family with ASD young child

Hello everyone! 

I've recently been approached by a BSL worker and teacher of the deaf, who works with a family where all members are deaf and using British sign language. their son (aged 3) has just received a diagnosis of high functioning autism. Although they are fully involved within the deaf community they feel isolated in that they are the only BSL family with an autistic child that they know of. Does anyone have any experience of working with such families , especially on keeping a deaf ASD child safe when out and about. Any advice very welcome. Any contacts with other such families very welcome! 

Parents
  • Hi Joppie

I've just come across your post. I'm a single mum to a 3-year old with ASD who was born profoundly deaf.  This is just a very quick post as I only have a couple of minutes right now but I wanted to touch base with you before I log off.

Without a doubt it has felt like Miles is the only deaf autistic child in the UK most of the time, and as for safety .... OMG, I could write a book on how difficult that is!!  My second book would probably be on professionals/support services - there are deaf ones and there are ASD ones, and they interact about as well as Miles does!

You can contact me direct or via the forum.

Wish I had time to say more right now, but ......

Saskia x

• Hi Joppie

I've just come across your post. I'm a single mum to a 3-year old with ASD who was born profoundly deaf.  This is just a very quick post as I only have a couple of minutes right now but I wanted to touch base with you before I log off.

Without a doubt it has felt like Miles is the only deaf autistic child in the UK most of the time, and as for safety .... OMG, I could write a book on how difficult that is!!  My second book would probably be on professionals/support services - there are deaf ones and there are ASD ones, and they interact about as well as Miles does!

You can contact me direct or via the forum.

Wish I had time to say more right now, but ......

Saskia x

Children
No Data