Deaf BSL family with ASD young child

Hello everyone! 

I've recently been approached by a BSL worker and teacher of the deaf, who works with a family where all members are deaf and using British sign language. their son (aged 3) has just received a diagnosis of high functioning autism. Although they are fully involved within the deaf community they feel isolated in that they are the only BSL family with an autistic child that they know of. Does anyone have any experience of working with such families , especially on keeping a deaf ASD child safe when out and about. Any advice very welcome. Any contacts with other such families very welcome! 

Parents
  • Autistic children almost always have low danger awareness or lower than usual danger awareness.  They can misundertstand peoples' intentions.  They frequently run off and can have meltdowns outside which makes them just react without thinking.

I don't know what issues deaf parents would have other than potentially not knowing when their child is shouting for help but that's not specific to an autistic child as it can happen with any child.

As the child is deaf, s/he may be much less prone to sensory meltdowns, or at least those that are related to auditory sensitivity.  I am sure as the parents are deaf they compensate automatically by being sharper visually in any case?  Perhaps that makes them more vigilant.  I would say the thing is for them not to assume that their child will be capable of the same awareness, street-wiseness, ability to be independent and manage situations etc. at the same age as their peers.  My 9yo is still like a toddler in many ways despite being very intelligent.

• Autistic children almost always have low danger awareness or lower than usual danger awareness.  They can misundertstand peoples' intentions.  They frequently run off and can have meltdowns outside which makes them just react without thinking.

I don't know what issues deaf parents would have other than potentially not knowing when their child is shouting for help but that's not specific to an autistic child as it can happen with any child.

As the child is deaf, s/he may be much less prone to sensory meltdowns, or at least those that are related to auditory sensitivity.  I am sure as the parents are deaf they compensate automatically by being sharper visually in any case?  Perhaps that makes them more vigilant.  I would say the thing is for them not to assume that their child will be capable of the same awareness, street-wiseness, ability to be independent and manage situations etc. at the same age as their peers.  My 9yo is still like a toddler in many ways despite being very intelligent.

Children
No Data