Parents
  • I don't know you reasoning for stalling a diagnosis as you have said "you've always known".

Myself & my husband are quite set on the fact we do not want a diagnosis right now...although we will leave the referral open for now as i know we may change our minds.

This would be best because you might wait ages. I'd say don't think about what is best for you, whatever is driving your reasoning. What your son needs is more important.

we have read and learnt lots to have made an informed decision 

The people dealing with the diagnosis are usually highly qualified professionals who deal with work in the field everyday.

Getting a diagnosis is a pretty long process and you are at the final step. I was left undiagnosed for 38 years and it wasn't easy. Yeah, I seem pretty "normal" to most people but the truth is I learned mask the underlying issues which caused me issues later on in life. I'd say that getting the support network your son may need is very important.

Here are all the ins and outs including your legal rights and choices. More importantly the information concerning what the process will mean for your son.

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children.aspx

May your son get what he needs. Good luck.

• I don't know you reasoning for stalling a diagnosis as you have said "you've always known".

Myself & my husband are quite set on the fact we do not want a diagnosis right now...although we will leave the referral open for now as i know we may change our minds.

This would be best because you might wait ages. I'd say don't think about what is best for you, whatever is driving your reasoning. What your son needs is more important.

we have read and learnt lots to have made an informed decision 

The people dealing with the diagnosis are usually highly qualified professionals who deal with work in the field everyday.

Getting a diagnosis is a pretty long process and you are at the final step. I was left undiagnosed for 38 years and it wasn't easy. Yeah, I seem pretty "normal" to most people but the truth is I learned mask the underlying issues which caused me issues later on in life. I'd say that getting the support network your son may need is very important.

Here are all the ins and outs including your legal rights and choices. More importantly the information concerning what the process will mean for your son.

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children.aspx

May your son get what he needs. Good luck.

Children
No Data