Awaiting diagnosis in need of some help/advice

Since last Sept my son has been really struggling, I put this down to his dad and I separating in Feb 2016 then his dad having a new partner who was pregnant before she had even met kids! And we had plotted on, in Nov 2017 my son had said he wanted to die, I got him a private psychologist and thought this was helping but at the beginning of March 2018 he tried to strangle himself 3 times (he was 9 then now 10) he was ref and seen by cahms who on the first meeting felt he may have aspergers, we have been going through all assessments and the next one (ados) isn't until August! My son is progressively getting worse, throwing things, hiding under school table, being on top of table, attempting to run away, he is so angry and upset. I've started doing a daily goal chart which helps a little and I bought ear defenders as he is struggling with noise is there anything else I could try to help? Thanksx

• Hi thank you so much for taking time to reply, it's been a rough few months, his attempt to strangle himself was in school and after his 3rd try ( he was using his own strength ) the teacher called me, I took him straight to gp who had already called cahms for urgent ref, but because it was 5pm they sent us to A&e where we waited for 5 hours to be told by a doctor "he doesn't want to hurt himself now, I mean I don't know where kids get these ideas from" to say I lost faith is an under statement, I work in nhs myself and have never felt so let down and got a good look at what it means to have mental health problems after 5pm. I will take down MIND and samaratins incase we ever need it, thank you so much x

• Hi ,

I’m sorry your son has been going through such a tough time. If he is ever unable to cope, it’s very important that you tell someone about his feelings or thoughts of suicide. Call your GP and make an urgent appointment. Your GP can make sure he gets appropriate help and support.

If it’s outside your GP hours call  111 to reach the NHS 111 service:  http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/NHS-111.aspx

The Samaritans also provide confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day on 116 123, or by email on jo@samaritans.org.

MIND have information pages on coping with self harm or suicidal feelings based on the experiences of people who’ve been through it that may be helpful.

If your son is ever very close to doing something to hurt himself - call 999 or go to your nearest A&E department. There should be someone there to support him and make sure he gets ongoing support.

If you need help with an autism related issue, our helpline can be emailed via webform https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx or they’re open Monday to Thursday 10am-4pm and Friday 9am-3pm on 0808 800 4104.

Best wishes,

Nellie-Mod