Autistic brother bathroom routine

Hi, my 13 year old brother is on the autism spectrum. He is homeschooled and has limited speech and understanding. He does this thing where he goes to the bathroom every :11, :27, :41, :57 of the hour, basically everytime there’s a break on the tv channel. This wouldn’t be an issue but it seems like he forces himself to urinate, just a little bit. I know this because I hear him straining to push the urine out and he only trickles. 

I’ve thought that maybe he has a weak bladder but I don’t think so because he can not go to the toilet frequently during the night and he doesn’t wet the bed or anything either anymore. He would only get up to use the toilet maybe once during the night. 

I don’t want him to carry on with this routine he’s gotten started with because I don’t want him to damage his bladder through constantly forcing urine out. I don’t know what to do, could anyone offer some advice?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if you ask him to go to the toilet say at 6:24, he won’t go, he says no.

Thanks 

Parents
  • I'm not a doctor, and maybe you could find medical advice for the physical behaviour, but I'm not sure straining to wee would cause a problem. Yes, straining bowels may give you piles, but straining to wee is just the PC muscle, isn't it?.

I know autistic people with unusual patterns around drinking and urination, and wonder if he has a fear that if he doesn't go to the loo, something might happen, like wetting himself or his bladder rupturing? Anything unusual about exercise? A CBT or other therapist might help overcome any such fears. Or he might enjoy it.

It might be a bit like an OCD ritual if it's done to relieve anxiety. There is a difference between that and autistic stimming or rituals though.

• I'm not a doctor, and maybe you could find medical advice for the physical behaviour, but I'm not sure straining to wee would cause a problem. Yes, straining bowels may give you piles, but straining to wee is just the PC muscle, isn't it?.

I know autistic people with unusual patterns around drinking and urination, and wonder if he has a fear that if he doesn't go to the loo, something might happen, like wetting himself or his bladder rupturing? Anything unusual about exercise? A CBT or other therapist might help overcome any such fears. Or he might enjoy it.

It might be a bit like an OCD ritual if it's done to relieve anxiety. There is a difference between that and autistic stimming or rituals though.

Children
No Data