Sexualised behaviour

Hi my son is 13 he was diagnosed with adhd which was misdiagnosed then a year ago he was diagnosed with autism. From a early age he has displayed over sexualised behaviour that was worrying. Now he is going through puberty the behaviour has come back again. This has worried the school social services and camhs. We now have an appointment to decide whether he needs to be put on the child protection register. My support worker has said this can be a positive thing so that it will open up more doors for extra help for him. I’m really worried.  I don’t know what him being on the register will mean for us as a family. Should I be worried. 

• Like Graham, I claim no expertise on this.

It could mean more regular monitoring by social services, but would that achieve anything?

You don't say what the risks are, but are you worried about something happening in public that might result in a charge like exposure with intent to cause distress (or whatever it's called now), or being put on the Sex Offenders Register? All that sounds unlikely, particularly if people around are aware. Maybe get some advice from a trusted professional like a psychologist who understands the behaviour?

Has he got an autism information card? Something that can be shown if there is any contact with police or others? In case of contact with police, he will have rights as a vulnerable child regardless of a card, or (I think, and again I know nothing about this) the child protection register.