Advice needed on independent schools and the local authority

I have been looking for a secondary school for my son to attend as he is nearing the end of his primary school.  The school I feel is the most suitable for him is an independent school, however these schools are much more expensive for the local authority to fund.

I am going to have to fight to get hima place so what I am asking for is advice from anyone who has been through this before, and what sort of examples did you give to the local authority to prove that the independent school was the best school for your child.

I already have a few examples but your advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Parents
  • I am in a similar position with my son and so am keen to follow this post! We are seeking private therapy for our son and a report that will hopefully highlight his anxieties and the risk of them being triggered at an LA mainstream school. I contacted SEN Caseworker and they said they'd take into account any reports written, private included. We've also requested his school get a separate report written by the Educational Psychologist but this is in relation to specific anxiety issues our son has. Other than that, we have his diagnosis of autism and his EHCP - and yet I do not think this combined will be enough to convince the LA of a private autism school placement. The school have already said they would accept our son if LA would fund. It's such a scary time isn't it. We are really feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all. Best of luck and thanks for starting this post! Hope some people in the know reply XX

• Thanks for reading my post.  I feel like I need an endless list of reasons before the LA will even consider our request.

It is very scary and stressful. Parents constantly have to fight and battle to get the best help for their child and its not right as we have enough stress in our lives. Its like it takes over your life until you achieve what you set out to do.

All the reports you can get would be a good start I would think.  I might try and do the same.  I have already been told I could be battling for around one year so I think evidence is crucial.

I agree, I hope we can get lots of advice and thanks for following my post.  I hope we both get there in the end. Xxx

• It absolutely does take over your life - there is so much more at stake with our children and choosing the right secondary setting. I had to quit my job in order to facilitate all the school visits/calls/e-mails we are expected to deal with. At least we are writing on forums like this and seeking help - hopefully that in itself is a good sign!! XX

• Thats crazy that you had to leave your job. All the meetings, calls, filling forms in etc are ridiculous.  It drives me mad.  I actually did the opposite to you.  I lost my job and all I felt like I was doing was battling with professionals to get help for my son.

I joined a temp agency and I have now got a permanent job.  I feel like now I can turn my phone off and no one can bother me, so I get a break from it.

I dont think the professionals or the LA make it easy for us parents. Xxx

• Thats crazy that you had to leave your job. All the meetings, calls, filling forms in etc are ridiculous.  It drives me mad.  I actually did the opposite to you.  I lost my job and all I felt like I was doing was battling with professionals to get help for my son.

I joined a temp agency and I have now got a permanent job.  I feel like now I can turn my phone off and no one can bother me, so I get a break from it.

I dont think the professionals or the LA make it easy for us parents. Xxx

Children
No Data