Pip appeal

Since my son was 3, he claimed DLA, which was replaced with PIP care but not motability which entitled me to carers allowance.  He is ASD. He is now 19, and today we received a letter from DWP stating they are cutting his benefit totally, even though he is no better, if anything, he needs more care.  He does not leave the house alone, I have to take him to medical appointments and the job centre, he suffers with extreme anxiety out and about, he can't cook for himself he does have appliances, but does not like cooking smells,  he struggles with fine motor skills -shoe laces and fiddly fastenings, can't manage his money, will only speak to myself or my husband on the phone, would not call 999 in an emergency, etc, etc.  He scored 0 on all sections of his asessment.  Should I just accept this or is his future very bleak?

Parents
  • I would not accept it but you will have to ask DWP to carry out what they call a Mandatory Review and probably then go to a Tribunal if that is not successful if you want to challenge it. It depends unfortunately whether your son is up to a Tribunal or not - how did he get on with his face to face assessment if he had a face to face assessment?

• His face to face assessment was carried out by somebody who did not have his file or any details about him as she had to take the place of another assessor.  She was quite rude and didn't seem to be very professional.  He was anxious the whole way through, and the next day we had an appointment with a counsellor where she diagnosed him with severe anxiety and moderate/severe depression.  He is very scared of mecication as they have prescribed sleeping tabs and he had a bad reaction to them, also prescribed antistimine make him ill.  Unfortunately he has been kicked into the long grass as he has got older, so reports very old giving wriggle room to DWP. Fortunately we have just been assessed with adult learning disability team and they are putting action plan together saying he needs help from social services with getting out and about and hopefully adressing all of his difficulties.  I have also got a private psycologist appointment for Monday so fingers crossed I shall have some evidence for the reconsideration.  Thanks for your advice.

• Tupster it sounds like your in a good position to appeal. I always felt that having lots of indepenant evidence that highlighted how I met the specifc criteria was the key to me being awarded the benefit. The sources you've mentioned sound ideal. If your son has been to the GP about his difficulties you could also get a copy of his notes and highlight the relevant information.

• Thanks so much for your encouraging support

Reply Children
No Data