Asperger's diagnosis son teenage

After years of school anxiety and refusal my 14 year old has been diagnosed with Asperger's.

He has had an awfully stressful time in secondary school not coping at all with the busy chaos that school brings.

He recently passed a scholarship to attend a small private school for Gcse's. Although he has attended taster lessons individually with support from myself and staff at the school, he is unable to make the transition to attending longer and navigating busy corridors and breaks/ lunch etc. 

He gets overwhelmed by noise and lots of people and feels now unable to attend.

Talking to him about it to him he said he feels he needs support at the moment in his educational setting.

Does anyone have any advise/ experience of similar experiences?     Many thanks

Parents
    • Hi there, my 13 year old has Aspergers too, he was diagnosed last Summer so still in a steep learning curve.  However from what Ive learnt myself or been advised by others you should ask the school for their help.  Can he get out of each lesson a few minutes early so he can navigate the corridors before they are busy, is there a quite place he can go to if he's over stimulated? In my son's school it's the library, sometimes busy but generally quite noise wise. My son has picked his options for S3 and has been allowed to drop a subject and will use these periods to catch up on other subjects and get any support needed.  I'm sure the school will help with these quite minor changes in the scheme of things.
  • Hi, thanks for replying, i will talk to school about it. I wish you and your son all the best.

Reply Children
No Data