Married to a man with Aspergers

we’ve been married for 10 years and have 2 children. He’s recently decided that he should have never “inflicted” himself on anyone! His analogy is I’m the granite and he’s dripping water.  I started strong but over time the drip drip drip is eroding me, which does have some truth.  Is there anybody on here who’s in a good long term relationship with some advice as the evidence seems to point to eventual separation - which I really don’t want and I don’t think he does either!

Parents
  • Hi, we have been married /together for 20 years and it has been tough . For us the answer is we do not spend too much time together. We love each other very much and have developed a really strong relationship over the years but we cannot live in each others pockets like so many other couples do . I have had to learn the hard way that I cannot expect random romantic gestures but know that I can ask a very straight forward question 'do you love me ?' And receive a honest answer.  I suppose if you think about times it has worked well in your relationship , you could find the key to what will make it work going forward .

• Thanks, do you have children?  If so how do you find his relationship with them?

• We have 2 children , 1 asc , 1 not . As babies/toddlers he struggled a bit with understanding that their needs had to be met to their timetable , an example would be them sleeping through lunchtime , waking at 230 pm but him not recognising they might be hungry because it wasn't his lunch or dinner time. I did the majority of caring when they were little tbh . They have an ok relationship now , him and the daughter with  asc really get each other and he helps me understand where she is coming from . My daughter without asc has not always found it easy , she is very sociable and loves to chat but he finds that hard and  has had to work at their relationship. They developed a mutual interest in fishing so he will make a special effort to do that , just the two of them . They are his life and he loves them dearly but he cannot always show it easily and he assumes they know it , so i remind him to say it regularly. 

• We have 2 children , 1 asc , 1 not . As babies/toddlers he struggled a bit with understanding that their needs had to be met to their timetable , an example would be them sleeping through lunchtime , waking at 230 pm but him not recognising they might be hungry because it wasn't his lunch or dinner time. I did the majority of caring when they were little tbh . They have an ok relationship now , him and the daughter with  asc really get each other and he helps me understand where she is coming from . My daughter without asc has not always found it easy , she is very sociable and loves to chat but he finds that hard and  has had to work at their relationship. They developed a mutual interest in fishing so he will make a special effort to do that , just the two of them . They are his life and he loves them dearly but he cannot always show it easily and he assumes they know it , so i remind him to say it regularly. 

Children
No Data