Hi my 6 year old son has just been diagnosed with ASD and although I've been expecting this for a lot of years (as he has always shown developmental delays) it has still come as a huge shock for me and the family. 

Just wondering where I could get some advice on how best to support him at home, he is also being assessed for ADHD and suffers terribly with anxiety.

His behaviour in general is fairly good both at home and school. He doesn't like any kind of change and cant really "play" with other children, it is more copied play.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is all completely new to us.

Thankyou

Parents
  • Dear NAS37234,

You may find the following leaflet which you can download from our website useful:

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/whats-next-information-campaign.aspx

Post-diagnosis can be a very nervous time for any parent, but we're here to help you. In this link you can find information on the effects on your family, getting some practical support as well as telling your child about their diagnosis.

If you have any other questions, or wanted some advice, you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team. They can provide you with information and advice on your issue. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm).Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

Hope this helps,

Mod-Federica

• Dear NAS37234,

You may find the following leaflet which you can download from our website useful:

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/whats-next-information-campaign.aspx

Post-diagnosis can be a very nervous time for any parent, but we're here to help you. In this link you can find information on the effects on your family, getting some practical support as well as telling your child about their diagnosis.

If you have any other questions, or wanted some advice, you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team. They can provide you with information and advice on your issue. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm).Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

Hope this helps,

Mod-Federica

Children
No Data