Deregistered child from school, Teachers not letting Senco help

My daughter is 7, she has always enjoyed school until recently, her class teachers approach frightens her, her attendance dropped and education, it became battle getting her to school, tears and vomiting every morning.

Although their is a nice Senco at the school I feel she has to go by their rules, she wants to help but by the teachers ways only, we were in a room chatting and during this time 3 different teachers kept coming in, then the head who lingered in the room prending she was looking for something, I was told of by her teacher in front of people telling me she doesn’t shout at my daughter and that’s she getting fed up of her worrying about it, Senco agreed she should not have done that but soon as head teacher came in room, she just went quiet, it was wierd like she was scared to voice her opinion.

i have no option but to remove her from mainstream school, really think they need to provide more Senco support in schools as I am aware from school welfare more parents taking kids out of school with SEN because of the lack of support, and teachers not having enough understanding. Anyone else experienced this?

• Oh dear, that’s not good. My son is being assessed at the moment, so no diagnosis yet, but everyone seems convinced he is on the spectrum.  His current teacher is amazing, and actually the one who flagged up concerns, but the teacher he had last year had him down as a disruptive troublemaker and we had a nightmare of a year trying to figure out why he was so badly behaved at school, and he was miserable. Even said one day he wished he was dead (he was 6). I guess it depends on the attitude and experience of the individual teacher.  Hope you find a solution for your daughter x

• thank you for the links but IV removed her now from the school, will be useful for future too so really appreciate it

• Thank you so much for your reply 

• Its such a shame this happens. I have heard similar stories from friends where their schools have also wanted the children to do it their way and should get on with it like other children. But I also know children who's needs have been met brilliantly by other schools so unfortunately it sounds like you've been unlucky with the school placement. I work in an SEN school and they are brilliant at ensuring children's needs are met. Might be worth looking into what else is available for SEN kids in your area.

• It' the same old story. I'm so sorry to hear about that. The head and teachers sound like bullies. No wonder your daughter was upset. 

I wanted to do a post graduate teaching degree so that I could help in some way. Circumstances stopped me doing that, so I'm still in my old job and can you believe it,  I've been bullied by a new manager for the last three years.

The world has become harder in some ways. 

I wish your daughter well and lots of happiness. x

• I wish it was that she was respecting my privacy but it wasn’t because the school already knew she is scared of her teacher shouting, the Senco said it was the teacher who asked her to speak with me but at the reception, but she took me into a room and closed the door but there was nothing in their for the teachers an yet 3 times someone came in, but like I said I have removed her from school now going to get her some support before finding her a new school, I’m just disappointed in them how they treated me and the lack of support just feel let down but the main thing is my daughter is now happy, education welfare said more and more parents removing their children from mainstream schools and a huge majority of them are children with special needs, so their is a problem.

• The thing is I rant the autistic society for support with this, they said there is so much more they could be doing but the Senco only gave her a pair of ear defenders, when I suggested other ways she was reluctant, because the school disagree and says she will just have to get on with it like other children, I felt it’s discrimination because she has needs, I really like the Senco but do feel she can’t voice her ideas sometimes, the teachers seem to stick together and things have to be done their way, I felt so upset after a teacher told me off to leave them to it and not interfere when I haven’t but if my daughter terrified of her teacher I have every right to be involved, when I told them I spoke to the autistic society, the head told me of again saying I had no right contacting them, I felt bullied by them I shouldn’t have been treated like that, when I done nothing wrong but show concern for my child.

• Hi Al1ce,

You may find the following  information useful.

The following article contains a lot of helpful information about education for a child with an autism: http://www.autism.org.uk/about/in-education.aspx This includes information regarding getting extra support for your child in their education setting.

You can search for schools that cater for children with an autism spectrum disorder on our Autism Services Directory: www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx

It can help to pass on information specifically for education professionals about autism spectrum disorders. The following link contains information written for education professionals: 

http://www.autism.org.uk/professionals/teachers.aspx

You may want to contact our Education Rights Service who provides information, support and advice on educational provision and entitlements. Please see the following link for further information: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/education-rights.a spx

Hope you find something helpful.

Best wishes,

Heather - Mod

• Perhaps the Senco stopped speaking when the headteacher came into the room because she felt your conversation was private and didn't want to break confidentiality by saying anything in front of her, not because she is scared of her? It may also have been the Senco's way of indicating to the headteacher that she didn't approve of being interrupted. You should be able to have a meeting in private without constant interruptions from people walking into the room.   

• Forgot to mention, I spoke with the head and she was not supportive basically told me to let them do their job and not interfere though I never have, and that my daughter will just have to get on with it, so I have tried everything