Done with school

Hello, 

My 14yo with Asperger's hates school and the more interaction I have with them the harder it is not to see why. His in a unit within mainstream and passionately hates being in a unit or having any support. Several incidents some of which my son hasn't helped and others where the school hasn't dealt with bullying or outright discriminated against him. I've had meetings, discussions the lot and nothings improved. He has a year and a few months before finishing.

I've tried to encourage him to stick it out as it's such an important time in respect of his education but now not so sure.

Trouble is feel there is no solution. If he stays, how well can he learn when his so angry and upset? Main issue is him 'being in the unit' having support follow him around and other students calling him derogatory names. If he goes to another school it will be a big upheaval for him requiring using public transport and not having his current convenience of a 5minute walk. He also won't have support which is 100% what he wants but I'm worried he'd struggle.

School has become such a source of stress for both him and I for a long time now that I'm at the point I want nothing further to do with them.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.

1. Thank you.
Parents
  • I cannot really help because I also hated much of my school days.

Point is that for many of us school is hard, hostile, a lonely place and a nightmare which we struggle to survive.

Unless another school is guaranteed to be better.  I suggest sticking with the current one.  I moved classes within a school and it wasn't better, just different.

At least he gets support.  

• It does sound like you've come to a breaking point. Could you arrange a months trial at the new school to test out how your son finds public transport, the lack of support etc. That might help you both to reach a decision. 

• It does sound like you've come to a breaking point. Could you arrange a months trial at the new school to test out how your son finds public transport, the lack of support etc. That might help you both to reach a decision. 

Children
No Data