14 year old - OCD/Apergers - "forgetting" medication

Not impressed I must admit but thats my son to a tee. Goes with the flow, expects things to bend the way he wants etc and will make zero effort to help himself.

We've spent over £500 on private consultant appointments to get him seen and presribed medication. Found out for the last 10 days hes "forgotten" to take it.

Hes almost 15 - I'm absolately bomping mad with him. Surely, at 14/15 he should be able to know the importance of it?

Parents
  • Aspies can definitely have short term memory problems, though their long term memory is often excellent. This is definitely true for myself - I can be asked to do something and not five minutes later forget what it was. It doesn’t matter that I know I was supposed to do something, I just can’t seem to remember what it was no matter how hard I try. This is why I write notes to remind myself and I put everything on my calendar and set reminders.

With regards to the issue with your son, I would suggest that first you need to find out if he is deliberately not taking his medication, or if it is genuine forgetfulness. You could try asking him why he thinks he is forgetting his medication, or if it’s that he doesn’t want to take it. Certainly if it is genuine forgetfulness then there would be ways to help remind him (such as above), but if he is doing it so as to avoid taking the medication then this is something you will have to discuss with him to find out why. Then once you know what the issues are, hopefully you would be able to come to a mutual solution for all.

• Yeh we had the discussion. To be fair hes great when it comes to going to appts, agreeing to take tabs - thats never been an issue.

Hes not so much forgetful. ITs he gets engrossed in his computer games and nothing else in the world seems to matter.

• Hi, if I word this wrong i am not meaning to offend. 

Do you feed your child? I mean do you call him for his dinner or anything?

Give him his medication with a meal or make him a drink, give him his tablet and say, take this in a nice voice.

It works here and saves anyone getting over stressed

• Hi, if I word this wrong i am not meaning to offend. 

Do you feed your child? I mean do you call him for his dinner or anything?

Give him his medication with a meal or make him a drink, give him his tablet and say, take this in a nice voice.

It works here and saves anyone getting over stressed

Children
  • Fair play - good on you. Trouble is I've got a teenager who vehemently and violently would have a big issue about, in his eyes "being treated like a baby".

He would quite happily not take his tablets for weeks and say he "forgot" then exploded if I even suggested something like this because "theres no need to treat me like a baby" and "we don't trust him"

• He s 14, he is a child.

My husband gives me my medication, I don't feel like he's treating me like a child, he looking out for my health, if he didn't i probably wouldn't  Get them most days 

• Yeh might be a good idea.

We try to treat him with a bit of respect i.e. ok  you heard what the doctor said and here are your tablets and you know when to take them. Making him sit down and prove hes done so is treating him a little like a child,

But maybe he needs this...