Help needed

Hi, I am a mother of a 12 year old extremely high functioning aspie. For the past 2 weeks he has been complaining of being ill. He did have a slight cold but nothing some paracetamol wouldn't cure. He has missed a whole week of school as he says he doesn't feel up to it. He is complaining of a headache, so I have been to the optitions. Other than this he is just saying he isn't feeling well but can't explain what's wrong. I am considering taking him to our GP but my concern there is he can't explain what's actually wrong. I'm not sure if this is medical or psychological!! As my son does not understand his body, he just doesn't know how to deal or express with illness. I can't actually find anything wrong with him. He's off his food lately, not that he eats much anyway! He was out all day with his dad yesterday and was fine. Today he's back in his bed saying he's unwell!

I have no idea how what to do. I was just wondering if any other parents have been through this, or if there are any individuals with ASD who experience this themselves and have a better understanding than me!

I have found in the past that when my son becomes anxious over something he displays it with feeling unwell, feeling sick, headache etc. Usually I can unpick the anxiety and get to the root of the problem. This is different this time and I am at a complete loss!

Any advice would be grealy appreciated.

Many thanks and apologies for such a long message.

Parents
  • I had extreme head pains when I was a teen not sure if its an aspie thing, some day's you just cant face the overpowering world around us and need to lock ourselves away. Does he have noise cancelling headphones? Is there something going on at school bullying ect I missed allot of school through this and because I didn't understand the social aspects of school. Is he picking up on someones emotions around him? I tune into people when they are upset and it knocks me 4 six.

• Oh thank you for your reply. That's very interesting. He does have headphones yes. I have spoken to him about school, doesn't seem to be any bullying. However he has just started comp and as he is extremely clever he's feeling the pressure slightly now. He's adapted very well to the social side and has found clubs to go to instead of being on the yard. I didn't think of others emotions. He's always seemed oblivious to other people's emotions so I didn't give that a thought! He has a 4 year old sister and I am querying ASD with her. I know he's struggling to deal with her at the moment. He just wants to sleep and stay in his bedroom but he's never been a good sleeper which is why I am worried now.

• I struggle to sleep also I have a completely dark room no light from standby items and I wear ear plugs it's the only way I can get decent rest. I have also recently been given Vibes ear plugs they cut out background noise but let you hear people talking, I didn't realize how noisy the world was especially when sensitive to sound. I hope your son is better soon.

• I struggle to sleep also I have a completely dark room no light from standby items and I wear ear plugs it's the only way I can get decent rest. I have also recently been given Vibes ear plugs they cut out background noise but let you hear people talking, I didn't realize how noisy the world was especially when sensitive to sound. I hope your son is better soon.

Children