Advice please... mum of a 3 year old currently going through the process of being diagnosed with Autism.

Hi, 

I'm a mum of a beautiful three year old boy who was referred for some extra support at 2 and a half years old due to poor speech and language. He has so many autistic traits but at the same time he doesn't tick all of the boxes. He loves loud noises, bright lights, lots of very stimulative activities where he is always moving and running about. He is very picky when it comes to food and textures and will not touch anything remotely slimy. He has his favorite toys, currently Woody and Buzz, and finds sharing and turn taking distressing to the point he will smack and hit himself in the face. He says a few words but nothing in context and its very repetitive and said exactly the same way each time. 

My son is now three and although he is incredibly intelligent and so loving, he really does lack the skills and development that is expected of him at his age. We are still waiting on an official diagnosis but it is becoming more and more likely that this is the route we are going down. We're yet to get some decent Speech and Language support for him, its all very stop start, and we've yet to see a pediatrician. I currently feeling like Im head butting a brick wall. 

Just looking for some tips on coping with a toddler with autism and finding ways of actually coming to terms with this as parents. Myself and my husband are so open minded and accepting, but our families are struggling to understand that our little boy has additional needs, we're constantly getting the 'leave him alone he is only a baby', which is soul destroying when all we want is support. Is it normal to find it so difficult to accept? 

I am really lucky that I have a best friend who's son is 9 and has autism and have experienced so much with her, however it is so different when it is your own child. She is so supportive and really offers so much help. but I just feel like I cant say how hard I am finding it because she seems to cope so well. 

Its a daily struggle coping with the judgement of everyone else and I feel so alone! 

Are there any other parents out there who feel the same? Does it get easier?! 

Thanks 

D :) 

Parents Reply Children
No Data