intelligence

does anyone else feel this because i feel like out of anyone i know that i'm the dumbest and that i can never be as smart as everyone else and that i won't be able to get a good career because of this. i just feel like my IQ doesn't measure up to others.

Parents
  • At primary school I was effectively told I was stupid, again and again, to the point that I actually believed it. I passed my eleven plus, but ended up going to a Secondary as it was made clear that I "wouldn't cope". In secondary school I was tested for dyslexia but I wasn't and they never even thought to look for ASD, I came away with 9 GCSE A*-C (1 D) and three of those were A*, but socially not comfortable and utterly hating education which is why I never did A-Levels or University.

As an adult I've done the MENSA IQ test and I'l eligible for admittance if I wanted to join (my Cattell was 156). I spend my early twenties struggling with work until I found my way through a bit of luck, then in my early thirties I set up my own company and now in my mid thirties I'm set and comfortable.

Part of my problem was always been told I wasn't bright enough, I wasn't intelligent etc. I ended up believing this, I thought I was stupid, wasn't good enough etc. What changed that with GCSEs was one good teacher who sparked it and showed me I was and that really helped, it then carried over into other subjects, however some teachers still seemed to resent that I wasn't thick as they had spent so long believing that I was.

You need to find your area, the subject or skill that suits you, the one that lets you be who you are and shows off the best of your abilities. It helps if it's something you enjoy, but that's not essential.

• At primary school I was effectively told I was stupid, again and again, to the point that I actually believed it. I passed my eleven plus, but ended up going to a Secondary as it was made clear that I "wouldn't cope". In secondary school I was tested for dyslexia but I wasn't and they never even thought to look for ASD, I came away with 9 GCSE A*-C (1 D) and three of those were A*, but socially not comfortable and utterly hating education which is why I never did A-Levels or University.

As an adult I've done the MENSA IQ test and I'l eligible for admittance if I wanted to join (my Cattell was 156). I spend my early twenties struggling with work until I found my way through a bit of luck, then in my early thirties I set up my own company and now in my mid thirties I'm set and comfortable.

Part of my problem was always been told I wasn't bright enough, I wasn't intelligent etc. I ended up believing this, I thought I was stupid, wasn't good enough etc. What changed that with GCSEs was one good teacher who sparked it and showed me I was and that really helped, it then carried over into other subjects, however some teachers still seemed to resent that I wasn't thick as they had spent so long believing that I was.

You need to find your area, the subject or skill that suits you, the one that lets you be who you are and shows off the best of your abilities. It helps if it's something you enjoy, but that's not essential.

Children
  • Something I have been thinking about is whether changes to the primary school organisation and curriculum have resulted in children being looked at in a different way. I attended primary school in the 1990s complete with the National Curriculum and SATS. Conversations I have had with people who attended primary schools in the 1970s and 80s have revealed that they were very different places both in terms of the curriculum and the style of teaching and assessment. Impressions I get is that there was more emphasis on working hard rather than learning or muddling along rather than high intelligence. The curriculum was generally narrower as not every school taught science, computers, non-Christian religions, or even music with instruments. Some schools adopted a project based curriculum for subjects other than English, maths, and PE which often involved lots of writing and an invariable amount of learning.

I would probably have been less happy to attend primary school before the 1990s.

• I was almost the opposite of this. I was identified as high academic ability at primary school, particularly in mathematics, science, and computers. The result of this was that SEN support and services were very limited because I had exceeded the National Curriculum targets for my year groups in literacy and numeracy. Teachers even said that I was too clever for my own good. If I had problems with reading, or spelling, or maths then all the help and support in the world would be available but there was no help and support for problems resulting from then undiagnosed AS. I was also accused as being lazy or slackassed with low standards, and told to pull my socks up and play my cards right, or even accused of attention seeking. 

At college I got 3 A grade A Levels in STEM subjects.

• I passed my eleven plus, but ended up going to a Secondary as it was made clear that I "wouldn't cope".

This is intriguing as I enquired about grammar schools vs secondary schools in local authorities that still operate the 11 plus.

The answers I got was that there are no accurate figures published (the NAS certain doesn't keep a record of them) although some information (from Kent) was that grammar schools are where most kids with AS and HFA end up as all that matters is whether or not they pass the 11 plus exam. I'm not aware of anybody who passed the 11 plus but ended up at secondary school because of allegations that they "wouldn't cope" or similar. You could be a unique case unless anybody knows otherwise.

• What does this company do?

Where did you learn about economics?

What subject was the D grade in?