intelligence

does anyone else feel this because i feel like out of anyone i know that i'm the dumbest and that i can never be as smart as everyone else and that i won't be able to get a good career because of this. i just feel like my IQ doesn't measure up to others.

• I feel I am the opposite end of the spectrum and I'm the smartest person I know and I have not been able to get a good career because of this (or rather I got one but was not able to hold onto it) although that may have been because I am 52 and I was only diagnosed two years ago.

Concentrate on your strengths. I don't have my autism paperwork on me but I am willing to bet if you are on the opposite end of the spectrum that you are e.g. way more creative than I am - I am not creative at all.

You need to find something that plays to your strengths instead of worrying about your weaknesses.

• I was hopeless at school and dismissed as thick.  Yet, in my 20s, I took an IQ test and was admitted into Mensa.  Ten years later, I had a degree.

You're smart and intelligent.  It's just that the others out there don't see it... and you haven't been given the right opportunities to prove it. 

You've got many years ahead of you yet to prove them all wrong - as I have!

• I have been at both ends.

I was labelled a child genius. I had a MENSA-worthy IQ and raced through all academic work to the point where schools couldn't keep up with me.

As I reached my teenage years I was still highly intelligent, but my autistic limitations were definitely holding me back. My peers were growing around me, and my limitations were becoming increasingly obvious by the year because I simply wasn't keeping up.

As an adult, I definitely feel significantly less intelligent. Many basic adult tasks are beyond me, like properly maintaining my home, paying bills and dealing with companies/businesses, using public transport. I have an inability to follow world news and culture, so I can't join in with many adult conversations. I'm physically slow - my motor skills simply haven't reached an adult level and so I'm much slower at any tasks that involve my hands and I'm also clumsy. I find it very difficult to speak in general, so I end up using very limited vocabulary to save myself the effort/risk, or I say the wrong thing and make myself look stupid.

I know I still have that intelligent mind - I get to hear it every moment of every day - but it's locked away and nobody else can tell it's there. I've always described it as a wall or a bubble - it's all inside, very little of it actually gets out.

As a result I've found it so hard to see how non-verbal autistic people are often treated by NT adults. I know how it feels to have an intelligent mind locked away, and for them the issue is an even bigger one as they haven't got any voice at all.

If I could simply write everything, with no face to face interaction, I know that people would have a very different opinion of my intelligence level. In reality, most people that get to know me without knowing my age are very surprised when they find out how old I am because I don't seem anywhere near as capable, communicative or able as they expect a woman of my age to be.

• I have been at both ends.

I was labelled a child genius. I had a MENSA-worthy IQ and raced through all academic work to the point where schools couldn't keep up with me.

As I reached my teenage years I was still highly intelligent, but my autistic limitations were definitely holding me back. My peers were growing around me, and my limitations were becoming increasingly obvious by the year because I simply wasn't keeping up.

As an adult, I definitely feel significantly less intelligent. Many basic adult tasks are beyond me, like properly maintaining my home, paying bills and dealing with companies/businesses, using public transport. I have an inability to follow world news and culture, so I can't join in with many adult conversations. I'm physically slow - my motor skills simply haven't reached an adult level and so I'm much slower at any tasks that involve my hands and I'm also clumsy. I find it very difficult to speak in general, so I end up using very limited vocabulary to save myself the effort/risk, or I say the wrong thing and make myself look stupid.

I know I still have that intelligent mind - I get to hear it every moment of every day - but it's locked away and nobody else can tell it's there. I've always described it as a wall or a bubble - it's all inside, very little of it actually gets out.

As a result I've found it so hard to see how non-verbal autistic people are often treated by NT adults. I know how it feels to have an intelligent mind locked away, and for them the issue is an even bigger one as they haven't got any voice at all.

If I could simply write everything, with no face to face interaction, I know that people would have a very different opinion of my intelligence level. In reality, most people that get to know me without knowing my age are very surprised when they find out how old I am because I don't seem anywhere near as capable, communicative or able as they expect a woman of my age to be.

Right there with you, Blade.  Although I have my IQ and my degree, and can manage independently, I likewise can't join in on many 'adult' conversations.  I find it difficult to converse with my work colleagues - but I have the autistic service users I work with to 'converse' with, on their own terms.  Their world is my world, too.  I also know how it feels to have a mind locked away, and ignored.  Yet I have the power of speech and an extensive vocabulary.  As you have.

Keep writing, I'd say.  If that's your medium, use it.

• The other thing that occurred to me last night and which I am surprised nobody has posted is that there is not just one sort of intelligence.

I was writing a covering letter for a placement I was hoping to do last year - it never came off but that is a different story - and I used two library books to help me.

In one of the books it listed as many as 8 or 9 (?) different types of intelligence - emotional intelligence was one of them but I can't remember the rest of them. The book made the point that all of the different types of intelligence were equally valid and no-one was likely to be strong in more than 3 or 4 of the different types.

I am going to try to find the covering letter and see if I can find the books I was using - my library might be able to help if I ask them nicely.

• I have something else I am going to post but it will have to wait until I have more time, maybe this afternoon.

• At primary school I was effectively told I was stupid, again and again, to the point that I actually believed it. I passed my eleven plus, but ended up going to a Secondary as it was made clear that I "wouldn't cope". In secondary school I was tested for dyslexia but I wasn't and they never even thought to look for ASD, I came away with 9 GCSE A*-C (1 D) and three of those were A*, but socially not comfortable and utterly hating education which is why I never did A-Levels or University.

As an adult I've done the MENSA IQ test and I'l eligible for admittance if I wanted to join (my Cattell was 156). I spend my early twenties struggling with work until I found my way through a bit of luck, then in my early thirties I set up my own company and now in my mid thirties I'm set and comfortable.

Part of my problem was always been told I wasn't bright enough, I wasn't intelligent etc. I ended up believing this, I thought I was stupid, wasn't good enough etc. What changed that with GCSEs was one good teacher who sparked it and showed me I was and that really helped, it then carried over into other subjects, however some teachers still seemed to resent that I wasn't thick as they had spent so long believing that I was.

You need to find your area, the subject or skill that suits you, the one that lets you be who you are and shows off the best of your abilities. It helps if it's something you enjoy, but that's not essential.