Son (20) still at home.

Hello

Just wondering if there is anyone out here with an adult son living at home. Really just needing a bit of blether about the highs and lows of it all,

My son has finished doing a course at the local college, andhas been on a 'ready for work' course, but he is extremely reticent to move forward despite support being out thre, maybe not to ghet work but at least to involve him in vounteering etc. He has a skill with cooking and a City and Guilds 1 in cookery. That said he has classic social difficulties for Aspies, mis understandig things and currently anxiety. His reading / writing is v basic although he can get by so long as he is not rushed...He has a great sense of humour, loves politics and movies...I think he's great!! 

Anyway,  if you are in a similar situation and could offer some chat support, or indeed know of any group specifically for this, then please let me know.

Thanks very much M

Parents
  • Hi, my son is 22 years old on his next birthday and has high functioning Asperger's, and I too am at a loss on how to get him into full-time employment fully supported. We kept him in college for 4 years but he grew tired of it and was determined to get a job. However, given his lack of independence still requires structured environments. We recently managed to get him on a 12 week work placement, but they decided not to take him on down to the catalogue of disasters he managed to create throughout the duration due to being unstructured. The employer was understaffed and it was an extremely busy environment, so we now know his requirements better. An apprenticeship or any supported employment program options recommendations greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Michelle

• Hi there - thanks for your message - since I opened this thread I've heard from a few people in this same situation. It's so hard to find places for our sons to start working and hard to keep on motivating and pushing and on top of it all. Sounds like you've had a good placement but with no real outcome - and that's not unusual. Volunteering is a good place to start with some if the project/services in local towns - not sure where you are - but ideally a magic wand would be great if it could help us get our sons out and about to these things. 

Currently I have stopped pushing for 'work' to happen. It has been hard to step back but It was making us ill. Since then my son has followed up on a few hours in a shop and handed a CV into a cafe. We've also had a much more relaxing time - it might sound like we've given up .. But we are just slowing  it all down and going with the idea that at some point things will shift somehow. 

I would definitely check out volunteering sites - try social  work for more suggestions - Advocacy groups for help w job centre etc ... and remember you are not alone :) 

• Thanks Tegan for reaching back out.

This has been really useful and great to know that I am not alone in this. I can only empathise on the strain it can cause, my relationship with him has definitely suffered as a result of this effort. 

Great advice on the volunteering suggestion, I will start a search. He is keen to do something (he would play his xbox all day and night left completely to his own devices!)  

We are based in Surrey but if I do come across anything interesting, (or a magic wand) I will certainly pass on.

Thanks, Michelle

• Thanks Tegan for reaching back out.

This has been really useful and great to know that I am not alone in this. I can only empathise on the strain it can cause, my relationship with him has definitely suffered as a result of this effort. 

Great advice on the volunteering suggestion, I will start a search. He is keen to do something (he would play his xbox all day and night left completely to his own devices!)  

We are based in Surrey but if I do come across anything interesting, (or a magic wand) I will certainly pass on.

Thanks, Michelle

Children
No Data