Bad behaviour etc

I know I know its not his fault but, at the moment, we just cant seem to stop some of the things he does.

All tied up with his OCD also which doesnt help.

But no matter what we try he basically, will do what he wants. He'll lie and go behind our gap. I can't tell you the damage hes done to the house, and money its cost.

Latest we find hes smashed a mirror, broken an expensive computer chair, and managed to knock a hole in the wall. Pretty sure I know what the reason is - frustration when hes playing computer games.

I know some of you are going to say, yes we need to treat him as he is, but its getting a bit out of control at the moment.

Parents
  • Hi NAS35349,

There's a page here on the NAS website which deals with physically challenging behaviour similar to what you describe and offers advice on how to contain outbursts like this and minimise the damage they do, through managing emotions, redirecting anger, rewarding positive behaviour changes, and other strategies. Although this advice is mostly aimed at stopping violent behaviour towards other people, I think the same strategies might be useful in preventing the similar kind of destructive behaviour your son shows towards objects in your house. The link to the page is here: www.autism.org.uk/.../physical.aspx

Hope this is of some help,

Ross - mod

• Hi NAS35349,

There's a page here on the NAS website which deals with physically challenging behaviour similar to what you describe and offers advice on how to contain outbursts like this and minimise the damage they do, through managing emotions, redirecting anger, rewarding positive behaviour changes, and other strategies. Although this advice is mostly aimed at stopping violent behaviour towards other people, I think the same strategies might be useful in preventing the similar kind of destructive behaviour your son shows towards objects in your house. The link to the page is here: www.autism.org.uk/.../physical.aspx

Hope this is of some help,

Ross - mod

Children