Travelling abroad PLEASE HELP

My daughter will be 18 in February and is super into dog training and she gone on a few seminars in U.K. But she has seen a trip to Ohio which is 14 hour flight two stops and 4 day seminar. She hasn't even travelled on a bus on her own but to be fair anything dog oriented that she is totally fine. Due to cost I won't be able to travel with her so my question really is should I say no or should I encourage her. Also does NAS know of chaperones or any assistance she can have whilst travelling. I'm thinking no you can't go it's too far but at the same time I don't want to spoil her dream as its her dog training idol who she saw last year in the UK

regards 

sue

Parents
  • Hi Sue

You can request special assistance for your daughter at the airport. This will mean someone will accompany her to make sure she gets through check in OK, see her to the departure gate, that kind of thing. I was told by the psychologist who diagnosed me that some airlines are quite good at looking after people with special/different needs, and that she could write a letter confirming my diagnosis that I could give to them for this purpose. It may be worth doing that, not necessarily to massively draw attention to your daughter, but more as a precaution so that if she should become distressed, the plane crew know why and are able to help and reassure her.

Perhaps talk to your daughter in advance to think about some coping strategies, how she might focus her thoughts on the upcoming seminar or some of the facts/information about training or even her favourite trainer if she starts to feel overwhelmed and needs to try to divert her attention before it becomes a problem.

I think it's great that you are encouraging her to follow her dream!

• Thank you so much for your time I'll definitely contact Cerys psychologist to get a letter that will definitely give me peace of mind. Im going to try to get in touch with the hotel to see if they can provide assistance whilst she there it's so difficult as she will be thousand s of miles away. She has to do a few stops to get there as well. Like blue ray said she is determined to do this as it's her  special interest and what she loves to do.

• Thank you so much for your time I'll definitely contact Cerys psychologist to get a letter that will definitely give me peace of mind. Im going to try to get in touch with the hotel to see if they can provide assistance whilst she there it's so difficult as she will be thousand s of miles away. She has to do a few stops to get there as well. Like blue ray said she is determined to do this as it's her  special interest and what she loves to do.

Children
No Data