Paradox. 15 yr with ASD has exceptional intelligence but can't make a right decision

My 15-yr child has exceptional intelligence but when it comes to make a right/appropriate decision, he tends to end up with decision which may jeopardise his safety. It is very obvious that it is not his intention to undermine his safety but he just can’t see consequences from his actions or understand its impact on his safety.

During weekends/school holidays, he only “moves” if he thinks it worth it, he only eats/drinks only when he feels he needs, he only go to bed when he feels he needs sleep. The problem is that he seldom feels that it worth “moving”, meaning that he is sitting on the sofa for his entire awaking time and only stands up and moves when he goes to toilet which is only once in a day and goes to the kitchen to eat food which is also only once in a day. He does not refuse the food all the time but only agree to eat when he feels he needs food which is only once a day. When he eats, he eats a proper amount for 15 years old, not like extremely small amount. His drinking is the same. He only drinks when he feels thirsty which usually occurs only 1 or twice in a day. He has once ended up with E&A, as he refused to take any fluid for 24 hours and he did not wee for 24 hours. He said he was not thirsty therefore he did not drink. He has also once fainted in school after having extreme immobile lifestyle for 1.5 months (during the summer holiday).

He is now in the middle of his adolescent and his behaviour has been affecting his physical developments. His BMI is far below the normal range and has been on high energy diet prescribed by a medical professional but he has been refusing to take them, as he feels it is not “yummy”. His extremely sedentary lifestyle has been significantly affecting his muscle/bone developments and his muscle is now so weak that he can’t even open a cap on pet bottles. He can’t walk more that 10 minutes, let alone run. We met numerous medical professionals and had a lot of tests but they could not find anything wrong with his body. Except his general muscle weakness (they thinks it is due to his extreme immobile lifestyle). His paediatrician told me that my child did not have an eating disorder, as he was still able to eat. His mental health professional told me that my child did hot have depression or any other psychiatric illnesses.  

He can perfectly explain how body works scientifically e.g. why human body needs water or what will happen to his body if there is no sufficient food supply but he hardly uses his intelligence or knowledge to shape his action or make a right decision. Anybody here has a similar experience? I would particularly like to hear from someone who has ASD and have or had a similar experience? What your thoughts? Could anyone possibly advocate my child, explaining/suggesting that why he bypasses his knowledge/intelligence to shape his actions? I really appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thank you so much for reading my long post.

Parents
  • This sounds very like hyposensitive 'interoception', one of the internal senses about how your body is. If he can recognise that and read up about it, maybe he can find a routine for good nutrition and exercise.  However, if he also has executive function problems... I could relate to that to an extent. I don't think anyone noticed I missed school lunch for several years because I was too busy.

I realise this is an old thread, so hope you're now less worried about this.

• This sounds very like hyposensitive 'interoception', one of the internal senses about how your body is. If he can recognise that and read up about it, maybe he can find a routine for good nutrition and exercise.  However, if he also has executive function problems... I could relate to that to an extent. I don't think anyone noticed I missed school lunch for several years because I was too busy.

I realise this is an old thread, so hope you're now less worried about this.

Children
No Data