Cutting own hair off

Hi wondered if anyone else has experienced of ads adult cutting own hair off our 21 year old daughter has started to cut her hair almost bald she did have long hair but has since cut it off she hadn’t done it for about 8 weeks but has done it again today she had told us she wants to grow it long then has cut it all off again 

Parents
  • Try to keep in mind, while there may be all sorts of worrying reasons of some kind it is also entirely possible that she did what she would always have preferred. Like in my case that could still have been initiated by something negative, but isn't negative in itself. Not everybody's reaction was positive (yours for instance), so maybe she thought she should better not do it again. This would not necessarily be the same as not doing something bad to herself again though, but rather to keep doing what other people expect, even if it's not what she would prefer and also not something that should be of any importance to others (the hair itself, I mean, not the issues that may be underneath, quite literally). 

8 weeks also sounds about right, I do it every 6 weeks. It's the time when it doesn't feel right anymore, so the second time may well not have been some sudden urge to do something dramatic due to being overwhelmed or something bad going on. If you consider that it could potentially be a positive thing for her this will also help to spot if it isn't.

• Hi I didn’t mean to come across negative we didn’t even comment about it just wondered what may have instigated it as it is a new thing she used to go to the hairdressers when younger 

Reply Children
  • That's good then! Guess it sounded so similar to my mum that I just assumed you had also told her. But as you can see, people have all kinds of reasons, many of them quite positive. Not having done it before doesn't necessarily mean that it's a new thing for her - she may have wanted to do this for a long time but as long as you go to school it's not that clever a thing to do (unless you like being bullied or bullied even more than usually) and later it still takes a fair bit of courage because you know that some people will find it strange, even though it shouldn't really make any difference to them. So you need to either feel reasonably safe about it or this kind of reaction doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things (the first being positive, the second more something to be concerned about).