Cutting own hair off

Hi wondered if anyone else has experienced of ads adult cutting own hair off our 21 year old daughter has started to cut her hair almost bald she did have long hair but has since cut it off she hadn’t done it for about 8 weeks but has done it again today she had told us she wants to grow it long then has cut it all off again 

• I think your daughter is just looking for her own style. This is absolutely normal for a girl. She wants to look fashionable and attract people.

• That's good then! Guess it sounded so similar to my mum that I just assumed you had also told her. But as you can see, people have all kinds of reasons, many of them quite positive. Not having done it before doesn't necessarily mean that it's a new thing for her - she may have wanted to do this for a long time but as long as you go to school it's not that clever a thing to do (unless you like being bullied or bullied even more than usually) and later it still takes a fair bit of courage because you know that some people will find it strange, even though it shouldn't really make any difference to them. So you need to either feel reasonably safe about it or this kind of reaction doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things (the first being positive, the second more something to be concerned about).

• Hi I didn’t mean to come across negative we didn’t even comment about it just wondered what may have instigated it as it is a new thing she used to go to the hairdressers when younger 

• He's 17 and still cannot grow his hair out

And why would he - it's not one of life's achievements, while dealing with what one can't cope with very well is.

• I'm finding having very short hair is also helping with that - there's just not enough to get hold of. This just shifted it to other things of course, but the less visible the better. 

• I'm surprised she didn't simply get bored of that topic (with you, I mean)! Don't think it took me cutting my hair for people to realise that I was useless for these kind of conversations. Or did she want you to change your hair? For my taste too much significance is given to such things...

• One look in the mirror and I visited a proper barber the next day.

That is so sweet Robert123....you can get cat biscuits that might help with the hairballs! x

• No.  I graduated to only pulling out the odd hair here and there biting it through.   I may have hairballs in my stomach.

Later I enjoyed splitting hairs.

Now I use tweezers to pull out white hairs in my eyebrows.

I have tried cutting my own hair.  And I made an awful mess.

Many many years ago I once allowed my niece to cut my hair. She enjoyed the experience. I enjoyed it.  One look in the mirror and I visited a proper barber the next day.

• is that something you still do...

I never really "bonded" with my hair....I have childhood memories of my dad brushing through my hair once a week and trying to get the knots out!!!.....i really didn't give a fig!

I identify with of wanting not to be drawn into conversations about hair and nails, and fashion etc....I am human and this is the "physical carriage" that I transport myself into whilst exist.

• Cutting or shaving your own hair is a minor issue.

• As a child I had real problem/unpleasant behaviour.  I spent hours pulling out my own hair in frustration at the outside world and had bald patches.
  • My son has always shaved his head out of frustration. Summer is really hot here, so he'd sneak into the cupboard and buzz his head. He started at about 4 years old. He's 17 and still cannot grow his hair out.

• Apologies, perhaps, for intruding, yet there may be a very SOCIAL reason for "cutting off hair", which I only Post here because I keep seeing this Thread and perhaps none have mentioned it as yet...?

I cut my own hair short - Yes, I am Female, also ... But I did not want to, yet did so through being fed up of, being female, the topic of conversation over myself was about HAIR and HANDBAGS and FASHION. Nothing else, ever.

Example: My own Sister, when talking to me, would talk about "my hair". And Nothing else. 

I then cut my hair.

Now she speaks to me not at all... unless I suggest another topic entirely. (!)

...NT-People & "Fashion"... Go Figure.

• What a picture! In both senses.....x big love Robert 

• Recent walk very different.

• Hehe, me too Robert123 and yes, I seem to have a thing for poetry. Sometimes I get this urge to clear my mind and write. I put pen to paper and within minutes, a poem appears. I never know what it’s going to say until I read the words. 

I love the picture, I’ll get one of mine from my most recent walk. 

• So, you are a poet.  Grinning

My poetry is in the mind, I cannot put it down in words.

I love the colours of Autumn leaves.

As long as they are dry. I love walking in them.

I live alone so I dress and walk inside how I like. No socks, no shoes, even birthday suit.

• I used to mow my lawn in bikini bottoms, my wellies and big plastic protection goggles!

Past tense! Don’t let the side download! Lol x 

• Oh I love the autumn leaves. I walk through them like I’m a princess walking on a path of gold. I feel so rich (not in the financial sense) and I revel in it. I literally walk down the streets, even at school finishing time when there’s loads of people around and I’m going to pick my grandkids up and I jump in all the puddles and splash!  I do angels in the snow laid on my back and catch snow flakes. I talk to trees and even my grandson does it now. I walk through mud and love the noises it makes and that squelchy feeling you get. I love love love all weather and my trusted wellies are perfect for all occasions. I used to mow my lawn in bikini bottoms, my wellies and big plastic protection goggles! No wonder my neighbours came out when I cut my grass! My other form of footwear is my bare feet. When my son was little, for a while, we never wore shoes, ever! He wasn’t so keen but I told him this is how we role! Lol! We also grew our hair in dreadlocks and I homeschooled him in the beginning, on the beach! 

I have stopped running, finally and although I will get the van and live the nomadic life, I will also be fighting, tirelessly, for an autism friendly world. I have no idea how it’s all going to happen but now I’ve got the help I’ve so desperately needed all my life, I’m going to learn to be me again and help others do the same. It won’t happen in a day but I’m beyond grateful for all the support I’m getting right now and I have relaxed enough to be able to take this one day at a time. 

In a little over a month, post diagnosis, I’ve got the help I’ve been seeking for 50 years. I’ve still got a little way to go with it and I’m not saying it’s going to be easy but I won’t accept anything less than we deserve. We did not come to this earth to compromise ourselves, one bit, which doesn’t mean we’re selfish jerks, but it does mean that we have a basic right, by way of being born, to a happy and fulfilling life and you guys have given me more love and support than I’ve had in a lifetime so far so there cannot be anything wrong with us. Love, support, acceptance, encouragement, caring, understanding and so much more you have given to me and the world is lacking in these things, which tells me, the world needs us as much as we need them. I can’t not speak out for us. No more running, apart from through puddles and leaves and all things messy! ;) 

• Do you think you’ll ever stop running...

i live the vision of you splashing puddles! Don’t forget the piles of autumn leaves....or giant footsteps to be made in freshly settled snow x

• Yes, that’s right, I care less about their viewpoints, which are superficial, and more about being seen for who I am, beyond what I look like or what I wear or what job I do or whatever. 

And oh yes, when I’m in my wellies I’m ready for anything and they’re so darn comfortable and easy to wear, and in my opinion, very stylish ;) ~ and I love jumping in puddles - often! Lol! And when I do and people see me, I now think, they just wish they were me right now! Lol! ;) As for running away or running too, yeah, I do both! Less of the running away from myself though now, thankfully. No wonder we get so exhausted, all this running would tire anyone out! I think we’re actualkt world class athletics at running, we’ve probably run more miles than the Jamaican guy who wins all the prizes! :-)