Out of control 14 year old - OCD/Aspergers

Thought things were gettng better when he started on medication but its just as bad as before now.

!4 years old behaviour is just appaling. It affects everyone in the family. His 4 year old sister. His mum has fibromyalgia which is getting worse.

He uses every trick in the book to get what he wants now. He lies constantly, hes manipulative. Whatever you tell him he just does what he wants anyway. Hes also started using his illness OCD as an excuse not to do things. He also deveopled strange new things like spraying anti-bac spray onto his bits after using the toilet (which is not good).

Also, apparently its all our fault as parents because we made him like this by stressing him out all the time.

Constant letters from school now about homework etc.

Hes done none of the homework given to him by counsellor. Basically, makes zero effort to help himself. Seems happy to just go along as he is, shout at everyone and get his own way. Counsellor has pretty much said to us that she can do no more him until he decides to help himself.

We're been trying to treat him fairly but still sticking to basic house rules. Nothing too difficult. Just put things back, consideration for others (inc dont use all the hot water every day in the shower for an hour!), no shouting and screaming, homework gets done. Thats it. Nowhere near at the moment.

Are we taking the right approach? I guess we should still have rules in the house.

Parents
  • Things we have problem with at the moment:-

1. Homework. "Forgets" to do. Lies that he didnt have homework.

2. Hot water. Uses it all 45-60 min showers. Tried to make rule 10 min max - never sticks to it. What do we do physically supervise a 14 year old?

3. Leaving toilet in a mess. Has so far ruined one floor, one toilet by hosing with water/anti-bac spray. Constantly leaves EVERY surface with spray on. Wont stop doing it.

4. Has sprayed on himself in past and given himself chemical burns. Still sprays on himself if we dont lock it away.

5. Uses 100ml a day of anti-bac hand gel. Shouts and screams like a drug addict if he doesnt get his fix. We've had to put lock on outside of bedroom door to stop him going in there and searching through drawers etc.

6. Gets given homeworks sheets by counsellor. Has yet to do one.

7. Loses his temper and shouts and screams at everyone inc his 4 yr old sister, his mother and me (says he wishes he didnt live with us.) He know he makes his mothers fibromyalgia worse but hes says its not his problem

• You have my sympathy since much of his behaviour sounds similar to my father's.  Someone, once, asked him not to do something then he kept doing it repeatedly indefinitely.  Like peeing on and around toilets, over the floor, leaving shoes in middle of corridors, using all hot water, filling kettles 100% full when making one cup etc etc.

Ways of dealing with this.  I have no easy answers.  Try having him sectioned, a spell in a tough secure unit with strangers might scare him.

• You have my sympathy since much of his behaviour sounds similar to my father's.  Someone, once, asked him not to do something then he kept doing it repeatedly indefinitely.  Like peeing on and around toilets, over the floor, leaving shoes in middle of corridors, using all hot water, filling kettles 100% full when making one cup etc etc.

Ways of dealing with this.  I have no easy answers.  Try having him sectioned, a spell in a tough secure unit with strangers might scare him.

Children
  • Disinfectant and urine don't seem quite the same to me, but I may have a different take on this as a chemist. Maybe you can find some solvent-free hand disinfectant for the sake of plastic surfaces, not sure if they come as sprays though, although he may find it only does the job if it smells of solvent...

• Thanks Robert. Its a thin line between being mean to him and disciplining him though.

We've almost been at that point. Called out for help to various organisations but nothing was forthcoming.