Self harming and suicide thoughts

Help needed pls

My 17 year old admitted he was self harming to us on Thursday after he posted on social media to friends he was going to take his own life.

He was diagnosed with higher funtioning autism and non verbal tourettes when he was 11 and have had many issues with his autism but never anything like this.

As he is very reserved and quiet unfortunatly we didn't pick up on anything different, we went to g.p Thurs and they sent us to deal with crisis team in hospital the same day.

We sat in a and e and eventually got a psychiatrist to see him 6 hours later.  They said that he is not clinically depressed and should go home and they would be in contact.

Through us chasing them we have had 2 calls at home and they have booked a home visit for this weds, but that's 6 days since he said he needed help!

Were unsure how to deal with this, is it something we should have watched for with his autism and him struggling to cope with emotions.

Any parents out there who have had the same unfortunate experience who can tell me what happens next? 

Feel like we are wrapping him in cotton wool atm but can' risk not doing that.

Any suggestions or experiences or advice welcome as feel like we dont know what to do Pensive

Parents
  • I’m so sorry you are all going through such a tough time, I see that you have already contacted the GP and seen psychiatrist though A&E and  I hope they can provide you and your son with the support you need but in the meantime, you might want to look at MIND's website, they have information pages on coping with self harm or suicidal feelings based on the experiences of people who’ve been through it that you may find helpful.  Also, our helpline can be emailed on autismhelpline@nas.org.uk or they’re open Monday to Thursday 10am-4pm and Friday 9am-3pm on 0808 800 4104 and they may be able to offer you extra advice and support.

Please post back if you need anything else and a moderator or community member will try to help.

Kind regards,

Heather - Mod

• I’m so sorry you are all going through such a tough time, I see that you have already contacted the GP and seen psychiatrist though A&E and  I hope they can provide you and your son with the support you need but in the meantime, you might want to look at MIND's website, they have information pages on coping with self harm or suicidal feelings based on the experiences of people who’ve been through it that you may find helpful.  Also, our helpline can be emailed on autismhelpline@nas.org.uk or they’re open Monday to Thursday 10am-4pm and Friday 9am-3pm on 0808 800 4104 and they may be able to offer you extra advice and support.

Please post back if you need anything else and a moderator or community member will try to help.

Kind regards,

Heather - Mod

Children
No Data