LA's - trying to change Autism diagnosis?

Hi all

I just wondered if anyone has come across this issue. My son has a diagnosis of autism. We want him taught in a specific ASD setting. Wakefield Council ( a particulary bad example of a council)  want him educated in a generic special school where all disabilities are catered for. OUR view is our son needs to be in a setting where teachers have the experience and training required to understand his autism fully. HOWEVER - and I think this the shocking thing - the LA are trying to say our son has Severe, even profound learning difficulties first and that his Autism is secondary - almost a side issue. Of course by arguing this they can fit him into their generic special school, at greatly reduced costs. They have suggested a special secondary school and in their letter they say "The school provides education for children and young people with severe learning difficulties, many of whom have additional needs, such as autism". AUTISM is not simply an additional need and Local Authorities should not be allowed to get away this scandulous twisting of a child's diagnosis. They are almost trying to say the child's learning difficulties caused the autism. Autism, a life long disability, is a barrier not only to learning but how children, young people and adults cope with the world they live in. Its not a 'side issue' which councils can almost ignore, simply to fit the child into their preferred ,cheaper option for schooling.

Parents
  • I'm wondering if they were just trying to tell you not to worry because their teachers do have experience with autism, rather than trying to change your son's diagnosis. Doesn't change the issue though.

• I'm wondering if they were just trying to tell you not to worry because their teachers do have experience with autism, rather than trying to change your son's diagnosis. Doesn't change the issue though.

Children
No Data