BRAINWAVES...and AUTISM.

NEW THREAD - Title: BRAINWAVES ...AND AUTISM.

This following, was printed in:
Asperger United, Edition 83, July 2015. (Page 10 (10-ish).)

"Brain waves are listed in order from sleeping to waking as beta, alpha, theta and delta. Beta being the waking state and alpha the state in which all children (and all animals) are in. Consider the proposal that autism is a brain which has more conscious connections to the alpha state, which is why the more "SEVERE" it is, the more childlike or sensitive the person is. Neurotypicals are "successful" beta people, while persons like me, with Asperger's syndrome, are highly beta, ..."

After that, it was mentioned again, in one-or-two later issues of AU... but still no-one responded to that EXACT topic (Brainwaves + Autism). So I (try to) invite opinions HERE.

There are "Links" to "prove" this matter, if the links given below still work:

psychcentral.com/.../100436.html

www.sciencedirect.com/.../S1877042815002347

みんあ: がんばって 下さい,な...

Parents
  • Jolly well done, there, "SeniorMoment", in mentioning "MRI" scanning. (And this post addresses "fMRI" also.)
    I did not want to mention it myself... for I intend to - partly - DISMISS it. I shall try to explain why.

Because MRI (and fMRI) scanners can scan a brain, I have noticed that they are very much mentioned together, concerning "possible diagnosis of Autism". The proposal in the first place (along with the "links") does NOT support this.

To read BRAINWAVES, an "EEG" machine is used, and it records Brainwave FREQUENCIES, in HERTZ (" Hertz"is a unit most commonly used for SOUND, as with tuning radios or televisions or broadcasting or UltraViolet, etc. etc.)

To read Brain ACTIVITY, an "MRI" (or an "fMRI") machine may be used. (perhaps along with many other different/new devices I do not know of)... but these do NOT detect Frequencies In Hertz.

The difference is that the First (EEG), scans what the brain is doing; and that the Last (MRI), scans what the brain is made of - or even if there IS a brain there to scan at all... (Mentally.)
    ...Another analogy is that an EEG sees what is being done, and an MRI scans if there is ability to DO anything at all (Physically.).

A gross simplification is that an EEG scans what is being done, and an MRI scans if the ability to do so is at all present/possible...

A most simplified analogy, is that an EEG scans what a LEG is being "asked to do", and an MRI scans whether there IS a LEG there in the first place...!

The main proposal is that Autism is identifiable by an "unusual" preponderance/predisposition/preference... towards ALPHA WAVES (below 13 Hertz)... rather than, as in an NT person, who is mostly using BETA WAVES (over 13 Hz).
    An MRI/fMRI scan only detects whether such activity is occurring *at all*, rather than the Frequency of it. This is why EEGs may detect "Autistic Traits" and why an MRI might not: ..."Autism" is a Mental and social thing. It is not a Physical (Physically VISIBLE) thing.

(This is regardless of "Autistic Traits" which may be caused by certain physical disabilities - e.g. someone in a wheelchair must refuse to "walk upstairs", and yet mentally they can also be diagnosed as "Autistic" due to "inappropriate" manners or conduct.
    ...The MRI scan would detect the lack of legs, and the EEG scan would detect the lack of BETA-wave intent because there are no legs.)

This POST is going on too long now, and so I end it here, yet still invite questions over it.

• Jolly well done, there, "SeniorMoment", in mentioning "MRI" scanning. (And this post addresses "fMRI" also.)
    I did not want to mention it myself... for I intend to - partly - DISMISS it. I shall try to explain why.

Because MRI (and fMRI) scanners can scan a brain, I have noticed that they are very much mentioned together, concerning "possible diagnosis of Autism". The proposal in the first place (along with the "links") does NOT support this.

To read BRAINWAVES, an "EEG" machine is used, and it records Brainwave FREQUENCIES, in HERTZ (" Hertz"is a unit most commonly used for SOUND, as with tuning radios or televisions or broadcasting or UltraViolet, etc. etc.)

To read Brain ACTIVITY, an "MRI" (or an "fMRI") machine may be used. (perhaps along with many other different/new devices I do not know of)... but these do NOT detect Frequencies In Hertz.

The difference is that the First (EEG), scans what the brain is doing; and that the Last (MRI), scans what the brain is made of - or even if there IS a brain there to scan at all... (Mentally.)
    ...Another analogy is that an EEG sees what is being done, and an MRI scans if there is ability to DO anything at all (Physically.).

A gross simplification is that an EEG scans what is being done, and an MRI scans if the ability to do so is at all present/possible...

A most simplified analogy, is that an EEG scans what a LEG is being "asked to do", and an MRI scans whether there IS a LEG there in the first place...!

The main proposal is that Autism is identifiable by an "unusual" preponderance/predisposition/preference... towards ALPHA WAVES (below 13 Hertz)... rather than, as in an NT person, who is mostly using BETA WAVES (over 13 Hz).
    An MRI/fMRI scan only detects whether such activity is occurring *at all*, rather than the Frequency of it. This is why EEGs may detect "Autistic Traits" and why an MRI might not: ..."Autism" is a Mental and social thing. It is not a Physical (Physically VISIBLE) thing.

(This is regardless of "Autistic Traits" which may be caused by certain physical disabilities - e.g. someone in a wheelchair must refuse to "walk upstairs", and yet mentally they can also be diagnosed as "Autistic" due to "inappropriate" manners or conduct.
    ...The MRI scan would detect the lack of legs, and the EEG scan would detect the lack of BETA-wave intent because there are no legs.)

This POST is going on too long now, and so I end it here, yet still invite questions over it.

Children
No Data