Dreams.

Hi all haven't posted any new threads for a while now.I have to have energy and enthusiasm.both have been in short supply recently.

I was wondering about dreams? I dream like most,some happy some sad but some very exact and so precise that when I wake up I can remember the tiniest detail,it feels so very real.

I used to have what I suppose would be classed as a nitemare.I was very young and it involves me walking down a never ending corridor,quite cold and very loud and echoes every little sound but amplified. I am walking along the corridor not knowing why when the whole corridor starts to shrink! The more I go on the smaller it gets,my speed increases until I am going so fast everything blurs, eventually I get so squashed it is frightening,the speed is still increasing,the pressure has made me the size of a pin head,and still it continues,suddenly I wake up shaking and sweating.

Now one possible link could be that when I was very young my granny was ill and was taken to hospital.mum and her sisters visited her and I was sat in the corridor with an auntie and uncle,I remember the very strong smell of vending machine coffee! Very sweet and sickly,I remember the loud sound of footsteps as people walked to and from, I also remember them all crying as gran had passed on,I didn't know that then but saw them all comforting each other and crying. Children were shielded from such things back then,we weren't allowed at funerals,very little was said about anything,

I don't have that dream now but it was ever present when I was younger.

So not looking to validate this dream or connect it to my autism. Just me trying to jog that memory chip in my head. I find actually putting my thoughts in written form very therapeutic,I also remember written words more that spoken words or thoughts.

Dyslexia playing it's part? Different connection between visual and mechanical memory,even my letters have to be in capitals as each letter is then a single entity,a picture,not an ever changing letter that swirls one way or another to join before or after another letter.

thanks for reading,for those who do have a hug take this"Hug" and for those who don't take care and be happy.

• If you apply for a student loan and get one, you dont have to repay it unless you earn £21k a year. After 30 years your liability is scrubbed. I am on a pension of less than £21k, wish me luck!

sounds like Sunderland is a miss then :-(

those students at the back moved to Leeds from Tilbury :-)

a 400 seat lecture is a nightmare in itself, perhaps on-line education is for you. The only thing is the meeting new friends bit will not be there. I looked at joining Rock Choir as I love indie music and can sing in tune a bit. Met some nice people there but it is a bit expensive, so did not stay long. Depends what your interests are really. My latest is Ladies football, my local side is top of their league and you always see a good game. Plus as its amateur you only pay £2:50 to get in.

have a think!

• It is a visual picture from your mind processing a chronic problem. What were your feelings in the dream? Fear? Worry about your position in the future. You are running running trying to keep up with the circumstances around you. Cirstances e.g. job or course or relationship is putting pressure on you and you are failing to keep up perhaps because of autism and dyslexia. You need to leave the job or course or change career

• I took several open university modules years ago.  Now that they've increased the fees I can't afford any more.

Sunderland, all these years ago was poor.  Both academically and architecturally, more like a few technical college buildings collected together and called itself a university.   Now I've heard they've built more.  But still near bottom of the rankings and deservingly so.

Leeds has a proper campus and has better staff and students and is autism friendly.  Although when I sat at the back of a 400 seat lecture hall, some of the students misbehaved, wriggling about as they played computer games on a gyroscope enabled smartphone.

• You had a rough deal so you are allowed to rant.

don’t think you should have dreams about food that’s this bad ;-)

The college I taught at was very tiny compared with the one in Sunderland, it was a small campus and we did practical skills. I was in engineering electrical and taught electronics because of my BT background and of course key skills. Nearest town to the campus was Tilbury. The main industry being the huge container dock which took over from The Royals in London where Canary Wharf is now. Bit of a rough & ready type area Tilbury. 

I was just looking at the open university, might have a go at getting a student loan.

Anyway I think we done dreams now, enjoy yours, its free entertainment of sorts. I seem to have stopped having the technicolour nightmares since I sorted my meds out. Looks like an untroubled night apart from the four wee breaks... oh dear price of getting old I reckon. See you in another thread soon!

• My experiences were very different.  All the students were adults (by age!).

The first one 1992/3 was in Sunderland, paid for by the employment agency.  A case of "can't get a job, try further training".  It was not well organised.  There was a big problem with attendance, not by the students but by the lecturers who had other commitments and just didn't have time to teach this course.  Often they sent an assistant who knew less than us students.

So there were a lot of complaints and we often taught ourselves from the supplied textbooks.

And it was the first time I saw a computer virus at work, as a screen froze and all the text fell to the bottom of the screen.

Also no exams.  Just assessment by course work.

The second course was in my home town of Leeds.  This was a different experience.  Both staff and students were very international.  Difficult to make friends because the modular based course had modules shared with other courses.

On my course we had 3 Chinese ladies who kept to themselves, 2 black African men who kept to themselves, I was the only native Yorkshireman.

One module had over 300 students, many had been there over three years and knew each other well.

So I found it socially very difficult to mix and make friends and my autism traits made matters worse.

The food/restaurant dreams are probably related to me trying to find a good place to eat.  There were many choices but none were satisfactorily.  The main restaurant had around 600 seats with a wide variety of food.  And low prices. With even lower quality food.  The fish and chips was tasteless, definitely not cod or haddock.  One days chicken Kiev was sold as garlic chicken slices the next day.

The search dreams for the library is probably memories of the large campus and the varied architecture in the place.

Rant over.

• For 7 years I was a Tutor in a college. I saw some students do some very stupid things. If I had my way at least 60% of students would not have been there. Most of these 60% were unemployable. They were at college for these main reasons. Their Parents were both in full time employment and knowing the little darlings well the parents did not want them ‘up to all sorts’ with their mates in the house.  Reason 2 the kid was lazy and colud not or would not get a job. Send him to college and he gets £30 a week EMA (think they scrapped this and brought it back later with different rules) anyway they were only there for the pocket money. Some were very sick. I had a student whose lips were always purple. He had circulation problems. His mum and dad sent him to college so someone was keeping an eye on him. Tutors were unpaid baby sitters. I got a call from the caretaker. Your guy is riding on top of the lift car. Yep thats where we found him. One guy went to the girls college next door and exposed himself in the cafeteria. 

By now you are asking yourself “interesting BUT why is he telling me all this?”

Just because, stretch off the surface and underneath a college can be a very scary place. It is full of people there for all the wrong reason and when they dont study (or do the minimum) they busy causing trouble. SO if you have nightmares about college it don’t surprise me, especially if you were a student that was trying hard and generally there to learn something. I think your results are good. Two courses, two successes, well done! You say you did not make many friends, well, most of my students I would not of approved of as friends for my own kids so if you did not make many friends think of it as you had a lucky escape

college may not be for you, why not have a look at on line training courses. There are government on-line sponsored level 2 courses which are free to you. The only thing is to make sre you meet deadlines for work to be returned or they may send you a bill. I have done two now on social care and they are okay, you learn stuff and make your CV more interesting.

I like chicken as well, let me know if you find it!   :-)

• The actual courses that these dreams are based on are real.  I did one year courses at these institutions.  One in 1992/3 and more recently  2012/13.

Academically the possible outcomes of these courses were:

Fail.

Pass with lower qualification

Standard pass

Pass with merit

Pass with distinction.

On the 1992 course I obtained a bog standard pass.

On the 2012 course I got a pass with merit.

Both results were slightly disappointing.

The real failure was the social aspect.   I found it very hard to fit in or make any friends.

The link to the psychologist seems to be that he suggested I go on a health and fitness course, saying that physical health can help improve mental health.  I declined because I am currently on a health and fitness  course organised through an employment agency which suggested that physical health can make me more employable.

As for the past academic courses.  Other dreams have me  on long walks through the campus trying to find the library.  At other times I am lost in the massive library trying to find books.  Or I am in a large canteen/restaurant with multiple levels and many outlets based on type of food and I can't find a roast chicken dinner.

• here is my latest one for you. I am a church goer and been very unhappy at the church I have attended for 4 years or so and so decided to leave and look for somewhere else to go instead. Reading an article in The Spectator magazine I come across a very interesting article about the beliefs held by our now generation. Young adults in the majority do not attend any church BUT christian teachings are still very much high in their thoughts as regards a moral code. I got to thinking that a lot of what goes on in churches is irrelevant to young people. I read further into the artical. The writer did a survey of young adult and what came to light is that many of them knew about the miricles Jesus performed and also the parables he told. Stories like The Good Shepherd, The Good Samaritan, Turning Water into Wine and so on. I researched my Bible. The parables are reported by four different people and so there are multiple verions of each. When I tried to make a list of them I got very confused. I decided that (only because it is a church nearby) that I would go to trinity church. It went very well I was made to feel very welcome. It got to the point where they give a sermon. I was spellbound. The sermon was about the parables that Jesus had told and focussed on one particular one. The feeding of the Five Thousand. It was harvest weekend. After the service I went for a chat with the speaker. In his hands he held a book. Understanding The Parables. I asked if I could look at it and inside was a list of them all and composite versions of each one. The job I had got confused about had all been done for me and delivered to me by a guy I didnt know in a church I had never been to before. How cool is that? I dont know if this is de-je-vu or if someone is trying to tell me something. I think I found the new church to belong to though, there is some sort of connection as there are too many coincidences here. What do you reckon??

• Is that college course an actual history? Are you recalling things that happened or is this all imagination? When we sleep our brains attempt to make sense of things OR our unconcious mind (the bit that does automatic stuff like breathe, heart rate etc, that we are not aware of.) is trying to tell us something. If its history and happened perhaps you should try to do the course (or a different one again) . If its imagination then think about how your appointment at mental health went. Do you think that these appointments are working for you? Do you think you would like to make some changes? Do you like and trust the psychologist you saw? Dreams are disguised issues. You have some thinking to do. If it comes back blank and you feel you have no issues then ignore it. Could be something and nothing. If you dream repeats have another think about things, see if anything appears clearer to you. The grade A looks like some sort of hidden success. Perhaps a very nice surprise is coming your way.

• I am still having continuations of old dreams. 

Last night I had the latest part of a dream that started several years ago.

I was doing a college course of several classes and gradually I fell behind and i dropped each class. But I continued attending the college, still going to the library and the big choice of restaurants.  But I was no longer doing the academic work or handing in assignments and missing most classes.

In last night's dream I was confronted by one of the lecturers handing me back my first assignment, for which I obtained a grade A.  And demanding to know why I disappointed him and  dropped out?   And this lecturer looked exactly the same as a psychologist I saw at an appointment at a mental health clinic a few days ago!

• Hi yes I get the de je vu thing a lot,kind of nice feeling when you are somewhere that feels familiar.My boss says"have you been talking about anything lately as we could do with more work". I might randomly start talking about a job I did twenty years ago and within a day or so we get a call to price work there? I wish I knew when my reminiscing was about to actually cause a re visit.

I no longer get the long corridor dream! I do have a current one that seems to be building towards something,always starts exactly the same,minute detail every time but wake up before any conclusion.very very complex dream, no nitemares just specific things.

Enjoying your recounts,

• Strangely or not, I believe in premonitions to. I get very strong feelings of de-je-vu at times. I sit in places and am instantly comfortable because I have been there before! Even though I actually haven’t. I went to my first meeting of a new group of people in Hull. No nerves, I have been in the room before although the week before I did not even know the existence of Hull’s oldest Pub ‘ye olde white heart’. From meeting one I have felt I belong there, now how very strange is that?? The group is based around meditation. Something I have never done before. I lost my way a bit in life and I can honestly say this group of wonderful people have steered me back to a place that I want to be. I am planning a weekend retreat at a Budhist centre about 20 miles from where I live. Some beliefs they have are very strange but I feel more open minded now and am quite willing to contemplate things that I don’t understand... yet.

also since reading your post I have had a dream in which I travel down a winding tunnel, I emerge from it and there is a person waiting for me. However all he \ she does is point out the entry to another tunnel and I go winding my way down that one... and guess what? The same thing happens again and again. It stopped when I woke up to go for a wee and has not been back since. Made me think is this your experience? And have you somehow shared it with me... or are we just finding what we look for? Food for thought eh?

• Hi palbus I have been reading the conversation and found it most interesting,The bit that really caught my eye was you saying the concept of time is to make people do things when the boss wants them to. My long held belief,I have no real belief in time,however living and working means I have to accept it and get on with life.

I have always struggled with time as in how long there is to do a certain job or when to be at work, I quite often turn up a minute or to late, my boss calls me "the doctor" as I prefer doctors hours.

I quite often have unknown premonitions,I will be talking about"we used to play in a field right byxxxxx when I was young" a day or so later we have an enquiry for a job there? It happens a lot when I reminisce about a job we did,next thing we are being asked to look at doing a job there.

pretty spooky,I am well known for it, This Friday past I was talking to a couple of old mates about how I used to enjoy being involved with bridge building, when I get back to our office my boss says" you are on that bridge job Monday" ,I have had nothing to do with that job but now I will be running it?

Anyway thanks all for contributing to my dreams post, chat about any subject I am happy just to see conversation.

• All is well that ends well. Much better to have prevented a big argument than indulge in curiosity, though sometimes curiosity gets the better of even the best of us. Just as an aside, in Tarot [which originally was a normal middle east card game] the death card is NOT a bad card to have chosen. It is the biggest change a person can have, and thats all it means something is about to change. If life is not so good chances are its for the better.

i agree dreams can reveal something future as well as past. Time is a man made thing, it does make sense scientifically but is it really useful to anyone apart from the masters to control their slaves. Rastafarians never wear a watch, they do everything when it feels right. I had one work for me once. He arrived often late but never clock watched and was often there long after everyone else had gone home. He was a very happy guy, I liked him, I never nagged him, his work was good and he often did more than the other guys. Time is good for a few other things. Running a rail network, a school, a hospital BUT however you boil it down its always about forcing people to do a certain thing when the boss wants them to. Just a thought.

• I actually found her dream interpretation book very useful.  Once by reading it, I managed to prevent one of it's predictions coming true.

I had a dream about family death and funerals (all mixed up).  And I remembered from somewhere that dreams often predict the opposite.  So death means life. Maybe someone in the family was pregnant!

I consulted her book in detail and it predicted, arguments, gossip and strife in the family. And I realised that if I had followed my gut and tried to discover who was pregnant, then there would have been arguments about me spreading gossip.

• Your mum was right. Some experiences we have are too scary to process whilst we are awake, so you get an acceptable version whilst you are asleep. Also I  believe that we inherit more than our looks, colour eyes and hair from our parents. In dreams I have seen the d-day landings 1st hand, my dad was there, very scary. Nothing will hurt you though it is just us mulling life over.

• Dreams!!!

My late mother was a great believer in dream interpretation.  For thirty years she had a 600 page book beside her bed, so she could read it as soon as she woke up.

I also have nightmares, some are continuing over years.  And repeating themselves.

In one I'm always trying to find the right door I'm a large office building.  In another I'm coming home from school and the journey is very long.

Often I know it's a dream while I'm having it.

• I read your post. I am on medication to prevent blood clotting. I had the ‘brand’ of my tablets changed [ cost cutting maybe] and these different tablets gave me nightmares [gory road accidents] I went back to GP and they switched me back to the same tablets I used to have. Nightmares went away. Has you medication changed recently? Might be worth checking out. General tips are the usual stuff, give up watching TV 30 minutes before going to bed, sit quietly with a nice comfy mug of ovaltine or hot chocolate instead. If you have trouble actually going to sleep when in bed, try doing some deep breathing relaxation exercises, works for me! No iPad or iPhone one hour before you turn in, both these overstimulate my mind. Enrol in a meditation class and go once a week to de stress. Like I say just the usual advice... that I never used to take but know better now to carry out these simple rules. Lastly don’t try to forget any distressing dreams, go over the details carefully, more than once if need be untill you feel less distressed at recalling the details. An analytical mind will not rest until it has completed its summary of events, when it reaches some sort of conclusion, you the boss can move on. Good luck buddy!