Online Community - Comments, Improvements and Feedback

Dear Community,

We were pleased to see so many comments about the community on the recent thread about the Leader Board. We are always wanting to learn more about how we can develop the community and so have locked the previous thread so that all comments and suggestions about general improvements to the community can now be placed here on this thread.

Please comment here on any ideas, improvements or feedback you have about the Online Community. 

Please note that although we take on board all your ideas, we may not be able to implement all of them.

As always, please be kind and respectful when commenting to each other.

Thanks,

NAS Moderators

Parents
  • Sorry to moan again, but I simply cannot cope with thread streams as they are currently posted.  I see a new posting and my natural impulse is to go to the end of the stream to see the last comment... only to find that it isn't there, but has been posted in response to someone else's comment, and is therefore nested away.  So, I have to then go through all the 'Load more' sub-headings until I find the appropriate post.  This is bad enough on a short thread, but on one which has had, say, 30 replies?  Forget it.

Is there any way that a recently-posted comment can be seen at a single click, without having to go through (possibly) loads of nested replies?

• When I click 'View online' in an e-mail notification I am taken straight to the posting so that may be a short-term fix for you.

I agree that the presentation of posts is a mess and it needs sorting; all this 'Load Previous' and 'Load Next' really annoys me and there are times when I just give up on threads (particularly new threads where I have not requested notifications).

• ... Difficult to know to whom (out of three so far) I should direct reply, and so I aim this at "Caretwo".

I kind of very much like the "load next" "load previous" business, yet I can indeed see how it can be irritating. If it is there for the reasons which I myself appreciate, then those reasons are --- to save memory or screen-space, when using a smaller or tiny device (like mine)...?

Perhaps there should be a way to turn certain functions on or off... but, to elaborate what I said before, I do not think NAS can do anything about the display order of Threads (oldest, votes, newest, etc.) because if someone wants to Post something right in the middle of a very Long Thread to a deeply nested answer... then, well, that is what can happen. (Good Evening to all.)

• Hi how are you? On a car forum I used to use you could reactivate an older post you just clicked on a little box that was on the same screen as the original post, it was a “quote” button. It therefore took the post and took it right to the top as newest post, you could add your own reply underneath it, the “????” Quotation marks were also included, so not embedded!  

so if I wanted to reply to the very middle post here(84)  I could click quote and a copy would appear right here,making it relevant, the original was left in its original place to keep it in context of the time it was used., 

take care and nice to hear you,, I enjoy your contributions, your spirit.()

• (P.S. ...in all the times I have used "The Internet", I have never seen a Site where this function is an option. It is either there or not.)

And also as I write this... I see what you mean!!

• To "CareTwo".
    ...'Evening... This reply concerns only the first paragraph of your own Reply. I offer slight apology, or slight confusion, or both...

By "three replies" I also meant your own, insofar as it being a (nested/sub) Reply to another Reply, to "Martian Tom" (Cat/Kitten to Cat!), despite yourself asking the question to which I then offered answer. The "three replies" were CareTwo, SpottyTortoise, and ElephantInTheRoom. I mix-up terminology when it comes to the Internet, and so that is what I meant... especially by "Apology"...

But yes, I think you are right concerning the "Load More/Previous" possibly truncating Replies/Sub-Threads inappropriately and possibly randomly... but! - I still think that not much can be done about that (it is an automated thing), for all content is random content.
    All I can try to offer, is to keep in mind that all Threads are *Linear*, and so "Load more/Previous" simply does exactly what it says. To keep track of it, I follow the newly-added LINES.

(...Alas, as I write this, a new thing occurs to me to support reasons for adding options to change things as well: If I want to SAVE the entire Page, I would have "click click click"...! It is hard to "please all of the people all of the time", is it not? (!) )

• , your reply highlights one of the problems with 'load next' and 'load previous' in that you state 'out of the three so far' and there being only two earlier posts displayed.

It would help matters if the loading happened automatically (or, as you mention, the functionality can be turned on or off per user).

If the software NAS are using does not allow a global setting of nested or unnested replies then it is a pretty poor piece of software.

I feel this new software is a backward step for me as a user. To give one other example (which I have mentioned in this thread), the old forum allowed the user to change the background colour and I changed mine to black as I preferred that to white; the choice of colours was limited but at least there was a choice.

• ...Just found out that you can now type Reply directly onto the Home Screen (!!), if *this* reply to myself shows up...

Reply Children
No Data