Online Community - Comments, Improvements and Feedback

Dear Community,

We were pleased to see so many comments about the community on the recent thread about the Leader Board. We are always wanting to learn more about how we can develop the community and so have locked the previous thread so that all comments and suggestions about general improvements to the community can now be placed here on this thread.

Please comment here on any ideas, improvements or feedback you have about the Online Community. 

Please note that although we take on board all your ideas, we may not be able to implement all of them.

As always, please be kind and respectful when commenting to each other.

Thanks,

NAS Moderators

Parents
  • To help me (and, hopefully, others) decide whether to subscribe (or continue to subscribe) to a thread I would like to see two new features.

The first is an indicator, set by the thread's creator, to show whether off-topic posts are welcome. The default should be that postings are to be on topic.

Secondly, a list of a thread's contributors.

These features would also have the benefit of reducing the number of unnecessary e-mails in an inbox and allow people more time to actually participate in the community.

• NAS8954 said:
    The first is an indicator, set by the thread's creator, to show whether off-topic posts are welcome.

- Sorry

• What are you saying sorry for Ellie? 

Caretwo. It seems to me that there is more than one reason people join this forum and although we do have things in common our characters will be varied. You have spoken about the threads keeping on topic several times. So I realise this is something which is important to you. I also accept that on some topics there is a need for seriousness and to keep on topic especially if looking for information or counsel and in those instances it would be a good idea to select keep on topic. However in most conversations it is unnatural to stay on topic. And how do you decide what is relevant to that topic or not? I am not in favour of the default to being stay on topic but yes to being able to select to stay on topic if the person starting the thread wishes it. Conversations ebb and flow from a topic. It is the free flowing relaxed nature of this forum which attracts me and makes me feel at ease ( which I do not have anywhere else).  I do not feel comfortable being confined to a topic or thread because it just feels like another way someone else is imposing what they think my behaviour should be. I understand your desire to have less emails popping up but you could be in control of that by choosing not to receive them but looking at your convenience if you wished to. 

I am not disagreeing with you to be awkward or to upset you but I did want to point out that I have trouble staying focused on a set subject and doesn't feel like the natural flow of a conversation and this makes me uncomfortable.  I don't like being boxed in. I'm sure there must be a way to give you the structure you need and the informality that I need but as to how that would be achieved is a conundrum. 

I suspect this stems from my other ND ( random, blurting, impulsive side) but I don't know so. I am trying hard to answer carefully so I do hope you won't be offended by my alternative view. 

I do think a list of the threads contributors is a good idea. 

Maybe we need a dedicated free for all general chitchat area where we can meet and greet and say goodnight for the day with those we connect with and those not private messaging. 

• Hey.....maybe at some point it will be the "normal" ones in the minority! Imagine that!  Lol

maybe you'll get your Autopia after all, Missy! 

• Agreed..,and i have received lots of support as well x

• Well said Spotty. sadly yes. me too. Just keep doing our best to help and join in when we are able to. As Ellie says it uses up emotional reserves. But then I just feel terrible like LW says lots of views and no replies .. awful many of those posts are beyond me. I noticed one poor person left the forum because they couldn't cope with the sorrow. We do need pets corner and autopia to keep us going! I'd say humour too but I'm no good at jokes! 

• No idea what to do about it but I agree that it is increadibly distressing to read some of the desperate posts on here. It all just highligjts the complete lack of support apart from the lucky few. 

It doesn't even appear to be a specific age range, its kids and twenty somethings and thirty somethings who should have been found and recognised.

Obviously us older bods are unrecognised because ASD simply wasn't an available diagnosis when we were young but it seems some people fare no better now. This country feels as broken as I do.

• I know what you mean.. but also .. I have had more support and understanding on here than anywhere else. So I am extremely grateful to uyou folk posting but also as LW says the nas and mods who do work hard for us. 

• Are you ok LW.

i agree that there are many member states keeping this virtual helpline going....and it isn't lovely that they help to give such wisdom, useful knowledge and kind words. This must be emotionally draining at times and others pain can be hard to to bear.

it can often touch a nerve that someone is also suffering and their lack of support seem so increasingly the norm. It can make the hole we're sat in feel that much deeper. 

• I know I go on but!

The systems we should expect to help are not working,we accept that,so as this is a fact then anything that can direct people to the sites or organisations that are still running must be a good thing.

I also accept that the national autistic society isn't responsible for dealing with every problem regardless of it's severity.it is a charity and does amazing things for us.

There are many helpful organisations as misfit posted a link to,I not being very IT savvy couldn't find them last nite! Plenty of"this is what we do" and" resources for teachers etc" that is the aim of this website to promote awareness and understanding of ASD/autism/Asperger etc.

Fantastic stuff,

You can probably tell I feel very emotional about these folks,it effects me so very much,I feel useless,I have been an observer of others all my life but I now have a voice via this virtual world.

thanks recombinantsocks,good suggestion.

• That strikes me as a good idea.

• Perhaps new members could be sent a welcome email, with basic information and links, when they sign up to the forum?

• http://www.autism.org.uk/about/health/mental-health.aspx This is the page on the nas website but I agree not that easy to find especially when you are distressed. I have called them a few times  just to talk when things were bad and they were really kind. I think there is a stigma about calling them but you don't have to be suicidal to phone. Some people are so distressed they come searching but we don't have the answers or experience of professional enough to help but can't just leave them sitting at the end of their tether feeling no one is out there. A feeling we know too well. 

• Thank you spotty

I had a look at the main page and I couldn't see anything that might point people in the right place.

Like I said I want people to come here for answers but sometimes I feel without immediate professional help the unthinkable may happen. I do try to answer anyone who starts a first post that doesn't get an answer,sometimes the post has had thirty odd views! But no reply. Not that we should have an answer as we are all unique and some are struggling themselves. To quote"if you have met one person with autism?you have met just one person with autism".

I am rubbish at posting links or even finding relevant info so feel helpless to help.

These are our people and are being so let down by the system.

Surely the admin are allowed to post links that may be of some use?

Samaritans.etc.I just hope I don't require help as I get older.

• Bless you Warrior, I imagine you are thinking of Misfit and Julie among others, it is heart breaking, but I know not what to say, platitudes won't help, Misfit has a practical streak that is deserving of recognition. ()

• Please would it be possible to post some easy to see links for people who are in desperation on this forum?

I ask as if there is such a facility on this website I haven't seen any.

It is so heartbreaking to see so many desperate people at there wits end coming onto the forum for help. We all do whatever we can but unless we have gone through the problem ourselves personally then we can only sympathise.

I do understand why they would want to ask members as we are the ones who may know how to get help when nothing else has worked. If there are services out there then linking them in some way to this forum would work as this seems to be there last hope.

maybe they have tried all the info or maybe just cannot find it?

certain members on here are practically running a help service! Long may it continue and I feel deeply grateful that they find answers to the best of their ability.

like I say I don't want to stop it from happening,I just want it to be really easy for anyone coming on the forum to get professional help.

Just to finish! Thank you from my heart to everyone who tries to help these very desperate people.we owe you so much.Heart

• Well 'The Day In and Day Out 101 Chat Thread' now exists, so if anyone feels inclined it is there to be used accordingly.

• Crazy lady....."MissFits, best fits!"

• Find a way to find the ones we gel with .. gravitate or magnetic force field doesn't really matter where. I'm not good at being tidy. Upside down

• The anti social, social hemispherium... .

• Sounds ok to me.. not sure if we'd manage not going off topic on other threads but if we did we could be nudged over to 101. 

Reply Children
  • I did just mention autopia etc but can't find my post... very odd. I agreed with Spotty and then said it's the pets corner and autopia which keep us going too but hey lost the plot! 

• Hey.....maybe at some point it will be the "normal" ones in the minority! Imagine that!  Lol

maybe you'll get your Autopia after all, Missy! 

• Agreed..,and i have received lots of support as well x

• Well said Spotty. sadly yes. me too. Just keep doing our best to help and join in when we are able to. As Ellie says it uses up emotional reserves. But then I just feel terrible like LW says lots of views and no replies .. awful many of those posts are beyond me. I noticed one poor person left the forum because they couldn't cope with the sorrow. We do need pets corner and autopia to keep us going! I'd say humour too but I'm no good at jokes! 

• No idea what to do about it but I agree that it is increadibly distressing to read some of the desperate posts on here. It all just highligjts the complete lack of support apart from the lucky few. 

It doesn't even appear to be a specific age range, its kids and twenty somethings and thirty somethings who should have been found and recognised.

Obviously us older bods are unrecognised because ASD simply wasn't an available diagnosis when we were young but it seems some people fare no better now. This country feels as broken as I do.

• I know what you mean.. but also .. I have had more support and understanding on here than anywhere else. So I am extremely grateful to uyou folk posting but also as LW says the nas and mods who do work hard for us. 

• Are you ok LW.

i agree that there are many member states keeping this virtual helpline going....and it isn't lovely that they help to give such wisdom, useful knowledge and kind words. This must be emotionally draining at times and others pain can be hard to to bear.

it can often touch a nerve that someone is also suffering and their lack of support seem so increasingly the norm. It can make the hole we're sat in feel that much deeper. 

• I know I go on but!

The systems we should expect to help are not working,we accept that,so as this is a fact then anything that can direct people to the sites or organisations that are still running must be a good thing.

I also accept that the national autistic society isn't responsible for dealing with every problem regardless of it's severity.it is a charity and does amazing things for us.

There are many helpful organisations as misfit posted a link to,I not being very IT savvy couldn't find them last nite! Plenty of"this is what we do" and" resources for teachers etc" that is the aim of this website to promote awareness and understanding of ASD/autism/Asperger etc.

Fantastic stuff,

You can probably tell I feel very emotional about these folks,it effects me so very much,I feel useless,I have been an observer of others all my life but I now have a voice via this virtual world.

thanks recombinantsocks,good suggestion.

• That strikes me as a good idea.

• Perhaps new members could be sent a welcome email, with basic information and links, when they sign up to the forum?

• http://www.autism.org.uk/about/health/mental-health.aspx This is the page on the nas website but I agree not that easy to find especially when you are distressed. I have called them a few times  just to talk when things were bad and they were really kind. I think there is a stigma about calling them but you don't have to be suicidal to phone. Some people are so distressed they come searching but we don't have the answers or experience of professional enough to help but can't just leave them sitting at the end of their tether feeling no one is out there. A feeling we know too well. 

• Thank you spotty

I had a look at the main page and I couldn't see anything that might point people in the right place.

Like I said I want people to come here for answers but sometimes I feel without immediate professional help the unthinkable may happen. I do try to answer anyone who starts a first post that doesn't get an answer,sometimes the post has had thirty odd views! But no reply. Not that we should have an answer as we are all unique and some are struggling themselves. To quote"if you have met one person with autism?you have met just one person with autism".

I am rubbish at posting links or even finding relevant info so feel helpless to help.

These are our people and are being so let down by the system.

Surely the admin are allowed to post links that may be of some use?

Samaritans.etc.I just hope I don't require help as I get older.

• Bless you Warrior, I imagine you are thinking of Misfit and Julie among others, it is heart breaking, but I know not what to say, platitudes won't help, Misfit has a practical streak that is deserving of recognition. ()

• Please would it be possible to post some easy to see links for people who are in desperation on this forum?

I ask as if there is such a facility on this website I haven't seen any.

It is so heartbreaking to see so many desperate people at there wits end coming onto the forum for help. We all do whatever we can but unless we have gone through the problem ourselves personally then we can only sympathise.

I do understand why they would want to ask members as we are the ones who may know how to get help when nothing else has worked. If there are services out there then linking them in some way to this forum would work as this seems to be there last hope.

maybe they have tried all the info or maybe just cannot find it?

certain members on here are practically running a help service! Long may it continue and I feel deeply grateful that they find answers to the best of their ability.

like I say I don't want to stop it from happening,I just want it to be really easy for anyone coming on the forum to get professional help.

Just to finish! Thank you from my heart to everyone who tries to help these very desperate people.we owe you so much.Heart

• Well 'The Day In and Day Out 101 Chat Thread' now exists, so if anyone feels inclined it is there to be used accordingly.

• Crazy lady....."MissFits, best fits!"

• Find a way to find the ones we gel with .. gravitate or magnetic force field doesn't really matter where. I'm not good at being tidy. Upside down