Keeping Abreast of New Threads

One way of keeping abreast of new threads is to use RSS feeds. Oxford Dictionaries defines RSS as 'a standardized system for the distribution of content from an online publisher to Internet users' and it is quite easy to use.

RSS feeds are quite easy to use and you do not have to be logged on to the community (or even visit the website) for the RSS feeds to work after they have been set up.

The overview below of how to use RSS feeds relates to Firefox (as that is the browser I use) but searching the Internet will return other options and details on how to use RSS feeds with your chosen option.

If you have the RSS icon (something like one of those below) displayed in your Firefox toolbar then please move on to the next paragraph. If you need to add the icon, select the menu, Customise, drag the icon to your toolbar and select Exit Customise.

To begin with you need to visit the community page (http://community.autism.org.uk/) and open a new tab for each of the groups in which you are interested (if you prefer, you can also cycle through the groups using one tab at a time - I find it easier to open all the relevant groups in separate tabs at the start).

I have chosen the 'Autistic adults' group for this explanation. Select the appropriate tab and you will see the toolbar's RSS icon becomes available. Click the icon and select 'Autistic adults - Recent Threads (RSS 2.0)'. This will take you to a list of recent threads and allow you to subscribe using Firefox's Live Bookmarks.

I do not find Live Bookmarks very user friendly and so I use Feedly (https://feedly.com/). To add the 'Autistic adults' RSS feed to Feedly, click in the address bar of the list of recent threads and copy the address. Then in Feedly select 'Add Content', 'Publications & Blogs', paste the address into text box and confirm you wish to follow the feed.

Whenever a new thread is added to the 'Autistic adults' group Feedly will display the information. If you are interested in a new thread then you can click the link in Feedly to be taken to the thread and then log in. Once logged in, you can turn the notifications on to follow the thread.

(PS I know you can turn on forum notifications but I receive more than enough notifications in my inbox from the threads I follow. I find RSS feeds are a good way on reducing inbox clutter.)

Please keep this thread serious and on topic. Thank you.

• The feeding of information from one source (this forum) to another (Feedly) is private to you as Feedly is secure. Other users will be subscribing to the same feed but in Feedly you will simply know that there are X number of subscribers. Your collection of Feedly feeds will be private to you.

From a PC perspective (I do have a tendency to forget that some people use tablets as their main computer), you can use an application such as QuiteRSS (http://quiterss.org/) which works in a similar manner to a standalone e-mail program like as Thundebird (which can also be used for RSS feeds). I have used both to collect my RSS feeds but have found Feedly to be easier to use.

I probably should have used bullet points for my instructions. Some people find it easier to understand instructions that are in bulleted lists.

If you can be specific about the area(s) which are causing problems then I may be able to help further. I would certainly try to help.

Maybe Former Member can add to or better explain my instructions.

• Hi Misfit, you ok?

• I just wanted to say thank you for taking such trouble to try to explain the RSS feeds. I have read what you wrote several times but at the moment it's like trying to read a foreign language that I don't understand. Most of the concepts are new to me too. I will try to understand it better tomorrow. I googled it and on the search page there seem to be quite a choice of apps which I will also have to look at carefully as on first glance it's difficult to differentiate. I will google again to see if there is something simpler to help me. I can tell that your directions are clear to the computer literate but my computing skills are not up to date. Also, if you are feeding information from one source ( this forum) to another ( feeds and feedly) is this private to me ? This is intended to be a serious on topic response of appreciation. Thanks

• I have managed to take a screenshot. You can (I hope) just about make out 'Customise' at the bottom left of the screen.

• Got it!  Thanks.  Screen shot is 'Shift + PrtScn' - though I most often use the snipping tool.

• When you click on the three horizontal bars on the right-hand side, 'Customise' appears at the very bottom (to the left of the 'Exit Firefox' button.

I am trying to take a screenshot but I am not very good at that.

• Can't find the 'Customise' menu.

• That is okay. If you have any problems, please let me know and I will do my best to help. Good luck!

• Hi caretwo,

I use Firefox as default, too.  I have the 'Forums' page bookmarked and simply click on it to check things.  I'll try this out.  Thanks.