Jane Wants A Boyfriend

I've just found a movie where the led character has Aspergers. A young lady wants to enter the dating scene against the well meaning but protective sister. The only other movie I can think of with an Autistic lead is Rain Man. Dustin Hoffman is an incredible actor. I don't know what this movie is like yet.

www.youtube.com/watch

• Don't see "Salmon fishing in the Yemen" with Ewan McGregor on your list. He plays someone with Aspergers.

I did not rate it myself as it had a "happy ending" which seemed unlikely to me.

• Rain Man is also available as a book which I recommend reading.

• Good suggestion and good film. I'll add Pi to another list as i'm pretty sure Max isn't called autistic in the film. But possibly is. Thanks

• "Sir Ian Mckellan".

• May I also suggest Pi (1998) by Aronofsky? www.youtube.com/watch

• Hi I watched a movie drama some weeks ago which although it was not about autism the young female actress did in my view exhibit some traits, regardless of that I found the film extremely touching and thought provoking.I found it quite sad that it ended the way it did.

The film is called "A touch of love". 1969 starring sandy dennis as an "Intellectually driven doctoral student called Rosalind Stacey.And sir Ian as a newsreader to presenter called George Matthews. She had her first intimate encounter a one night stand and became pregnant,he however was homosexual.she tried to end the pregnancy but failed and decided to have the baby anyway,she kept it secret apart from close friends,her parents were always abroad.she had to call hereself mrs as the stigma of being pregnant and not married was the way. There were difficulties but I won't spoil the end,a very moving portrayal of a quite lonely women in a world of her own.

• That long list will keep me occupied in winter! I have hardly seen any of those. Thank you

• Here is a list of film featuring character on the autism spectrum I'm working on. It doesn't feature non-English speaking films (i'm working on that) or any sort of documentary. It does feature a few TV series. 

I'm currently making my way through the films taking note and reviewing and as far as I am aware all the films describe an individual as being autistic or having Asperger's, although House of Card (1993) and Nell (1994) only mention and suspect autism. I've included these two because they do clearly and numerously name autism and the implication is that the behaviour observed in the character is 'autistic'. I have chosen to not list films or programs where it is speculated in the real world that the character is autistic i.e Forrest Gump (1994) and also not films with a passing reference to someones behaviour as being autistic such as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011).

Change of Habits (1969)

The Boy Who Could Fly (1986)

Rain Man (1988)

Backstreet Dreams (1991)

Family Pictures (1993)

House of Cards (1993)

Cries from the Heart (1994)

Silent Fall (1994)

Davids Mother (1994)

Nell (1994)

Under the Piano (1995)

Cube (1997)

Mercury Rising (1998)

Nightworld: Lost Souls (1998)

Molly (1999)

Bless the Child (2000)

Miracle Run (2005)

Mozart and the Whale (2005)

Fielder’s Choice (2005)

Killer Diller (2006)

After Thomas (2006)

Snow Cake (2006)

Breaking and Entering (2006)

Imagination (2007)

God’s Ear (2008)

The Black Balloon (2008)

Adam (2009)

Mary and Max (2009)

All The Small Things (2009)

Dear John (2010)

Burning Bright (2010)

Temple Grandin (2010)

Fly Away (2011)

A Mile in His Shoes (2011)

The Story of Luke (2012)

Joyful Noise (2012)

White Frog (2012)

Empty Room (2012)

Alphas (2012)

Touch (2012)

Season of Miracles (2013)

Stand Clear of the Closing Door’s (2013)

X + Y (A Young Beautiful Mind) (2014)

I Am Me (2015)

Jane Wants a Boyfriend (2015)

Too Hip for the Room (2015)

Parenthood (2010-15)

Jack of the Red Hearts (2016)

Po (2016)

The A Word (2016)

The Darkness (2016)

The Accountant (2016)

• In the recent 'The Accountant', Ben Affleck plays a maths savant - the accountant of the title.  Not everyone agrees with the portrayal, and maybe it is a bit generalised.  But I thought it was interesting, and I identified with some of the traits exhibited.  There are also some revealing exchanges, at the beginning and towards the end, between parents and a psychologist at a special facility for autistic children.  They give, I think, a valid assessment of the situation vis-a-vis society's lack of understanding about ASC.