Selfies as avatars, revealing personal details

The new system has allowed people to post pictures of themselves as avatars and elsewhere in the forum.

Is there a policy on this practice given that Rule 2 would suggest that this was against the rules?

Also, some people have used their real names - e.g. Hendrow has revealed his full name in his posts. I get that they are grown ups and are making their own decisions but I think that the mods should perhaps clarify what is allowed and what is not.

Parents
  • Mine isn't a photo of me, but a cartoon.  I'm wary about giving too much personal information. I've been caught out before with that - getting unwanted emails, etc.  Not on here, but other sites I use.  I'd never want to use a place like this for dating or anything (not that I 'date' anyway).  There are other sites that cater for that - but I wouldn't use them, either, as people are too easily groomed and exploited.  This is a public forum.  It's not exactly Facebook - but there are still people out there who like to prey on the vulnerable.

• Being that there are sociopaths who see their purpose in life as being to harm others, and their trigger for doing so is seeing firstly an individually identifying image, and secondly then anybody that appears to fit that image ~ it is rather risky for individuals and potentially dangerous for others not to use an Avatar image.

In terms of being risky or dangerous for others - this involves as already mentioned people who are alike in appearance, and also vulnerable people who prone to following the example of others.

There is the further risk, that when sociopaths find someone who has not used an Avatar image, or resembles someone who has not - that serious harm or death results, and representatives of the law, or seriously aggrieved family or friends become involved with the person who set the sociopath off ~ with hospital, courtroom, prison and funeral services being involved.

Please therefore use an Avatar image - for your own safety 'and' the safety of others.

Former Member

• Being that there are sociopaths who see their purpose in life as being to harm others, and their trigger for doing so is seeing firstly an individually identifying image, and secondly then anybody that appears to fit that image ~ it is rather risky for individuals and potentially dangerous for others not to use an Avatar image.

In terms of being risky or dangerous for others - this involves as already mentioned people who are alike in appearance, and also vulnerable people who prone to following the example of others.

There is the further risk, that when sociopaths find someone who has not used an Avatar image, or resembles someone who has not - that serious harm or death results, and representatives of the law, or seriously aggrieved family or friends become involved with the person who set the sociopath off ~ with hospital, courtroom, prison and funeral services being involved.

Please therefore use an Avatar image - for your own safety 'and' the safety of others.

Former Member

Children
No Data