Before I quit this place permanently I'd like to change my avatar to one of my own choosing, which is something that I inquired about when I first joined this site, around a year ago. One of the changes to the new forum layout has apparently been the inclusion of an option to upload your own avatar. That would be great if it actually worked but each time I've tried, over the pasty few days, all I've got is this message.

•  - in the first instance you might post one or two examples here and see what others in this thread think. Obviously they can then upload them as personal avatars if they wish.

• Many thanks! My 'Brains' looks great!

By the way, I am sure I have some pictures that others may like as Avatars.  I would be prepared to release them for this purpose onlly and would reduce them to 300x300 to prevent use of the images for other purposes.  Would this be of interest and where could I send them to?

• We believe that the avatars issue is now resolved. In testing, we have uploaded Trainspotter's required avatar. Please update this thread if you have any other issues with avatars. Thanks for your patience.

• Normally, you should be able to upload the 300*300 and smaller images that you are trying. At present, and as I mentioned above, I can't upload your avatar into your account either. We are still investigating the reasons for this. I'll report back in this thread, but it may take some days to resolve.

It appears, however, that some other users can upload avatars. We will probably know why this affects only certain users when we have found out what the problem is!

Sorry not to be able to say more at this point. Thank you for your patience.

• What file format should the avatars be in ?

Is there a maximum file size as well as max limit on resolution?

• Thank you for the help.  But the issue is still there.  I tried a 300X277 image.  It refused.  I then rescaled it to 300X300 exactly and it still failed. Both are small jpg files.

• Go to your Profile (icon top right, above the Donate button. Choose to Edit Profile. Click on your current avatar, above your profile. Either choose one of those provided, or upload your own.

As discussed in this thread, there is a temporary issue for some users with uploading avatars. However, others seem to be able to do it. We are investigating, and this thread will be updated when we have news.

• Simple, straightforward question.

How does one add their own Avatar????.

• I (using an administrator account) can't load your avatar into your record either - same error. We're looking into it. It's strange because, plainly, some others can upload avatars. I'll report back when I hear something from our developers.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• My photograph Avatar won't load either.  And I took it down to 200x200.  Something wrong with the system somewhere.  get that same message "That was Unexpected' etc.  I put the Easter Island head on, but would rather have this one, a hero of mine for over fifty years.  Not like some of the wooden celebrities these days!

I took the picture at a Thunderbirds studio tour at Easter 2016.

• Avatar size is 212 x 212. It still won't load.

• Former Member - sorry you've had an issue, and sorry you want to leave the Community.

We have not seen this problem before. Avatars should be a maximum of 300x300 pixels. Please make sure that your avatar meets these requirements. If you still can't upload it, we'll take a look (or email it to communitymanager@nas.org.uk).

For anyone else reading this thread, do make sure that you have copyright permission to use any avatar (which generally means that copying something from someone else's site may not be permissible), and of course avatars, like everything else, should be in the spirit of the Community rules.