A change for the worse

"Autism friendly"? No, I don't think so. The original format worked and was a logical set up that was easy to use, this new format is a total illogical mess. The number of posts on this forum and the number of users making them were already in decline. I think this new layout will simply hasten that process. I for one won't be using or visiting this site in future. In fact as soon as I post this I'm going to close my account here.

Parents
  • Aaargh! I can't see which threads I've already read nor can I see how to mark unread posts that I don't feel like reading as read,  without actually reading them. 

Any suggestions? 

•  - there are several ways of updating yourself on what's been added. It may depend which one you are using?

If you browse by thread, and are signed in, you should find that unread thread titles are bold, and read ones are in normal type. This is remembered even if you sign in next time on a different PC/device. You can browse by thread either in the five individual forums, or in the paginated Recent forum posts list on the home page.

I'll have a think about the issue of marking threads read without actually reading them. I often open forum threads in new tabs, so I suppose you could do that and just close the tab.

It's true that, if you look at the individual recent posts in the "activity stream" further down the home page, there isn't a way to mark those as read (or interesting/not).

Please keep the comments coming.

•  - there are several ways of updating yourself on what's been added. It may depend which one you are using?

If you browse by thread, and are signed in, you should find that unread thread titles are bold, and read ones are in normal type. This is remembered even if you sign in next time on a different PC/device. You can browse by thread either in the five individual forums, or in the paginated Recent forum posts list on the home page.

I'll have a think about the issue of marking threads read without actually reading them. I often open forum threads in new tabs, so I suppose you could do that and just close the tab.

It's true that, if you look at the individual recent posts in the "activity stream" further down the home page, there isn't a way to mark those as read (or interesting/not).

Please keep the comments coming.

Children
  • Try editing your settings. Change:

(UTC) Coordinated Universal Time to:

(UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

I'm not sure the wording of those options is really correct: UTC is a time standard, more than a time zone. In terms of time zones, the UK is of course on GMT for half the year and GMT+1 (BST) for the rest. However, setting for London as above seems to produce the right result (at least while we're in BST!)

I've flagged this to the software providers.

• The time stamp on the posts seems to be an hour earlier than the clock time.

• Hi James

I don't think so, but I'm looking into it. When you first asked this, I set the first five or ten topics in each forum as read, as part of my testing. As I page through the topic list near the top of the home page now, obviously the top ones are unread for me, because they have been updated overnight, since I last looked (and the most recently updated are shown first).

However, as I continue to page back through the topic list, I begin to see threads that are still not bold (i.e. read) because they haven't been updated.

One thing to note is that this forum uses what is often called "nested" threading or just "threading", whereas the old one used a flat view ("flat threading"). In other words, within the general context of BIMOG's original topic, you and I are talking about the specific issue of finding unread threads. The fact that we are replying to each other is being shown by indentation. A side-effect, though, is that the latest message in the thread no longer appears at the bottom. This makes it more necessary to rely on the last updated information when checking on thread updates.

Do let me know, however, if you find threads that have definitely not been updated, and yet are still marked as unread.

• Came back today to see what further comments had been made about the updated forums, but all threads appear in bold, as I have not read them, even those whic I know I read and which have no subsequent updates.

Could there be a bug here?