Meltdown?

What is a meltdown?

How do you know that you are having a meltdown?

Parents
  • That's pretty much it I suppose. From my experience it has been from a build up of frustrations through a failure to communicate effectively.

I've been in situations many a time where I would be crying uncontrollably for up to an hour.

The hard part, in my opinion, is getting others to understand.

What sort of things can trigger a meltdown for everyone else?

• Its very rare that I have a meltdown but I had one in work about a week ago, my boss went on holiday and didn't inform me. Now I'm a person who likes a routine and I was quite annoyed when I turned up for work and she wasn't in, she actually the only reason that Ive stayed at my job so long because it's quite hard work.  I like to think we get along quite well (although she did have a go at me once or twice for being late)  Because I haven't been diagnosed with autism just yet I don't think my boss understands my needs. I'm seeing a psychiatrist on 24th August then hopefully I will get my diagnosis. I'm asking this question when I do get diagnosed how would I approach my boss to say that I need to be treated differently? 

• I'm not good adapting to change either. After your consultation with the psychiatrist they will write a report. Usually the report will give recommendations. When  appropriate possibly whilst discussing work or at the end of the consultation you could ask them to include advice directed towards work or directions of how to get "access to work" which is there to offer support in work. For example if you are distracted by noise in an office you could ask to wear ear defenders. If you are distracted by people coming in and out of the office you could maybe change the position of your desk. Or have support helping to clear your desk and make a schedule. I haven't done it myself but worth looking into I would think. It's finding ways to help you do your job.. easier in some jobs than others obviously. It's amazing what is on the internet.. you could look up your job linked up with autism and see what crops up. Or you could start a thread on here without giving away personal details and see what other people have tried. Some employers will be more able to accommodate you than others it depends on circumstances I expect. 

• I'm not good adapting to change either. After your consultation with the psychiatrist they will write a report. Usually the report will give recommendations. When  appropriate possibly whilst discussing work or at the end of the consultation you could ask them to include advice directed towards work or directions of how to get "access to work" which is there to offer support in work. For example if you are distracted by noise in an office you could ask to wear ear defenders. If you are distracted by people coming in and out of the office you could maybe change the position of your desk. Or have support helping to clear your desk and make a schedule. I haven't done it myself but worth looking into I would think. It's finding ways to help you do your job.. easier in some jobs than others obviously. It's amazing what is on the internet.. you could look up your job linked up with autism and see what crops up. Or you could start a thread on here without giving away personal details and see what other people have tried. Some employers will be more able to accommodate you than others it depends on circumstances I expect. 

Children
No Data