Music

I have realised recently that i have random taste for music and like i like alot from classical, heavy metal, rock, dance, punk, and hip hop but when it comes to the performer ie band, singer or dj i only like one or two songs that they have done. There is a few bands that i like more than one song but not many just wondering what other  people think if they have the same view, only like one type music or just like one band and listen to only them. i just like that music its so varied each makes you feel and think differently. what are your views on music

• I went through a long ultra goth phase in the 90's. I used to review a lot of European and home-grown music in various amateur zones and got sent numbers of CDs and books to write about. Getting these parcels was like Christmas! I still do like a lot that is goth. But on 2005 I discovered Brian Wilson's Smile, I always liked the Beach Boys anyway. At the moment I am listening to a lot of what was popular in 1967. New music is great too but you can end up kissing a lot of frogs, so I wait for recommendations. Florence and the Machine have their moments of sublimity, someone introduced me to Anna Von Hauswolff though she is a tad doomy for me. 

• Yeah I'm the same in terms of liking everything. But my favourite is Songs from musicals actually such as Les Miserables..... i also love Disney some Rock and Pop

• Hi PaleGrayKnight,

I love music too! I like music from all genres, so I guess that makes us similar in that regard!

I think that many people will listen to sprinkles of music from other genres - now that most music is free to stream, people are free to explore other genres without risking their pocket money, whereas before they might have enough money to buy one album/record, so they had to pick one they knew they'd like.

Also, given that the number of musicians and artists is always growing, the number of "one-hit" or "two-hit wonders" has surged as well, so it's likely you'll like only a couple of songs from many artists because of that too! 

Music has so many different uses, purposes and meanings to people depending on how it sounds - from political messages (This is America - Childish Gambino) to TV commercials (What Does the Fox Say - Ylvis) to commemorating the dead (Over Again - Mike Shinoda), music is one of the most powerful and diverse mediums of communication we have in the modern era!x

Much love!

• I also like all types of music, often songs with a strong rhythm, anything from Stravinsky and Debussy to Abba and Led Zeppelin. I usually prefer songs which are uplifting or have a deeper meaning, but will sometimes listen to something which reflects my mood. One particular favourite for darker moments is Gary Numan, whose lyrics move me, even when I couldn't explain exactly what he's singing about. I can feel the meaning inside.

I have a habit of choosing one particular song, which can be by anyone, and listening to it on repeat for day after day. Then I suddenly get tired of it and move on to do the same with a different one. At the moment I'm obsessed by "Delicate" by Taylor Swift, before that it was Tiesto's mix "Ten seconds to Sunrise".

• I LOVE MUSIC i couldn't live without it and like you i like all types of music but i just listen to some more that others and i also like songs with deeper meanings to the lyrics.

• I personally love classical music, Wagner, bach Mozart. As well as erudict guitar players and composers such as tarrega, david russel, segovia, barrios, bream, pepe romero, villa lobos...

I also do like progressive rock like king crimson, emerson lake and palmer, pink floyd, genesis. Other kinds of music like electronic, metal, folk, bossa samba are welcome for me too.

• I just loved the name of his autobiography: "Pictures of an Exhibitionist"!

• No Howard hasn't become a member of ELP , just he was touring with Ringo Starr's All Star Band, and Greg Lake was also in this line up, that's where the Howard Jones/ELP connection is!!!

OH yes Keith Emerson took his life, how sad that was, tho I can maybe understand why as a degenerative condition meant he found it painful to play keyboards, and when that's your love and life and you can no longer do it it's such a shame. R.I.P, Keith

• Howard Jones playing with ELP?  Or rather JLP now I suppose.  The world's gone mad, etc.  I'm going to be disappointed if he doesn't have the mad hair and terrible jumpersfrom 30+ years back.

And I guess I'm lucky to have seen Motörhead quite a few times: they never stopped being full of energy, though I admit I fell asleep during one of their shows.  Sadly not drunkenness, just fatigue from travelling there (bloody Hammersmith!)  I met Wurzel a couple of times afterwards.  Deaf as a post, but a really nice guy.

I'm also reminded this isn't "my" avatar.  This site is so confusing sometimes!

• Hi PaleGrayKnight,

Just like you, i have a random taste in music - from classical to audiobook (where a play or special interest i.e Horrible Histories is recorded and can be downloaded by the user, usually through spotify or Itunes). I have a 16g ipod that is practically full of music - usually with a good amount of songs just from one artist.  My favourite has to Daft Punk - youtube them, their amazing!

I personally think music is the breath and life of people - without it, we will be pretty lost. it can affect our mood, our feelings and our prupose of life. 

What do you think?

Love,

Belle x 

• I don't watch the X Factor, tho I agree re Susan Boyle, she doesn't fit with the image of X Factor , but WOW!!! What an amazing voice. Tho I do feel she should've left Wild Horses to the Rolling Stones, massive Stones fan here!!!  

• Hi as regards music I'm obsessed with Queen, Rolling Stones are another favourite. I also like Rock and Metal, Pink Floyd Black Sabbath, Deep Purple (tho not so much the David Coverdale era, he can't hit the high notes like Ian Gillan can )  Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Metallica , Judas Priest, Motorhead I was well sad when Lemmy and then David Bowie died especially in such a short space of time. Have some mainly  60's bands Kinks , The Animals.    I like Mike Oldfield, and Prog , ELP, Genesis, Marillion, I love Blues , I also own quite a bit of Classical, Elgar, Wagner, Beethoven & more. I like the electronica of Kraftwerk, I love how Autobahn , just soars and soars, and Gary Numan (I thought he was great live in 2009), I do have some Reggae and even some Eminem, tho I do have some 80's stuff before I got into Rock, I still have my Abba I bought or was given as a kid (I Haqve A Dream/ Take A Chance on Me was my first 45 rpm) Duran Duran , Howard  Jones (tho Howard did tour with Ringo Starrs All Star Band with ELP's Greg Lake and, he played Keith Emersons keyboard parts to Karn Evil 9" and that is one of the most difficult keyboard parts to play. I love the eccentricity of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. So I think there's probably something in my music collection for just about everyone.     

• lostmyway said:

Um....Mediaeval Baebes?

Nothing wrong with the Bæbes, though I prefer their weird gothic rock alter ego, Miranda Sex Garden.

I'm mostly listening to Electric Six at the moment, who are so much more than the notorious Gay Bar.  Possibly the most prolific band I've listened to, and very amusing with it.

• They're sexy and sound good. 

• lostmyway said:

Um....Mediaeval Baebes?

Hi lostmyway

The medieaval baebes have been going since before the spys curls started and used to be referred to as a 'Medieaval Spice Girls'.  Apart from the fact that are all female there is not much comparison.  They do play instruments, their recorder playing is superb.  And they sing a lot of their stuff in strange tongues which no one would understand but that is not the point, it is the effect that is so compelling.

By Yonder Lea: Mediaeval Baebes

At present they perform the title music to the series Victoria on ITV.

• lostmyway said:

"Anything anti-establishment, really!"

Tell me you aint a loony lefy Tom, please! (Joking)

Let's just say I'm not a raving rightie.

•  "Anything anti-establishment, really!"

Tell me you aint a loony lefy Tom, please! (Joking)

• The problem with X factor and Britains Got Talent is that Simon Cowell can't see further than the end of his nose.

He sees a need to mould the contestants to his ideas.  He is a controlling bully.  Even Paul Potts and Susan Boyle have succombed and I wonder how much say they have had in what they record and perform.

This is of course nothing new.  Just listen to Sounds of the Sixties on Radio 2 and you will find out how much absolute rubbish there was even then.  For every Yardbirds or The Annimals or The Kinks there were an enormous number of performers you have forgotten about and a lot of those you remember you may wish you'd forgotten.

For me the real talent of the sixties 'popular music' in addition to the above is Pentangle, Fleetwood Mac when Peter Green was with them,  and Pink Floyd, although Pentangle were playing music which on first hearing one would wonder why they were so successful (they were not successful chart wise but had an enormous cult following).  Their mix of Jazz and Folk and instrumental talent changed my music tastes forever.

At present, I love the sound of the Mediaeval Baebes, they really do have a lot of talent and I wonder how they would have fared if they had been put on BGT or the X Factor.

The problem with fashion in anything is that it becomes very old fashioned so quickly.  Quality however lasts forever even though it is never fashionable.

• I also love anti-establishment music. Got me wanting to listen to  Chumbawamba again