Hey, if you like books.....

Do you agree with this list by And of the top 20? Would you throw out some, or include other titles?

Look what I shared: 100 (Fiction) Books to Read in a Lifetime - AbeBooks.com @MIUI| www.abebooks.com/.../index.shtml

Parents
  • A pretty solid list. I'd have to include Frank Herbert's Dune series (especially God Emperor) and Clive Barker's Weaveworld. God Emperor is unique and I love the way Weaveworld mixes the ordinary with the fantastical, lots of contrasts that mix well.

• I have read most of the SF on the list: 1984, Brave New World, Slaughterhouse 5, Never Let me Go...... at uni, we read Catch 22 and Middlemarch, there way have been one or two others. Middlemarch I found thoroughly depressing. 

No Phillip K Dicks I noticed. And I was surprised that from the good Nevil Shute there was only a Town like Alice, rather than On the Beach? I read the latter at 17 and had nightmsres for weeks afterwards. I suspect a war like that would be much messier than depicted here - it is absolute extinction of all human life, but really everyone just keeps enjoying what they already enjoyed doing, the lie back with their favourite drink and the cyanide pill. I think it was the thoroughly 50's stoicism of his characters that got me. 

Oh and I heard about and ordered the Connie Willis, The Domesday Book. Historians can travel on time but the girl student ends up witnessing the Black Death.

I did like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance at the time, though it might seem a bit flaky for nowaday's tastes. He could have been on the spectrum....

• at uni, we read Catch 22 and Middlemarch, there way have been one or two others. Middlemarch I found thoroughly depressing. 

What’s your degree in?

• I doubt they had doughnuts in his time. They certainly had the plague. Other than that it was about Catholics being naughty and behaving badly, mainly by bringing lots of new little monks and nuns into this wicked world. 

• I have no idea if it was attributed to Boccaccio but it is a common Italian saying, such as:

Non tutte le ciambelle riescono col buco.

Literally meaning “Not all doughnuts come out with a hole.”... or mistakes happen

• Non era Boccaccio che a scritto queste parole?

Reply Children
  • I doubt they had doughnuts in his time. They certainly had the plague. Other than that it was about Catholics being naughty and behaving badly, mainly by bringing lots of new little monks and nuns into this wicked world. 

• I have no idea if it was attributed to Boccaccio but it is a common Italian saying, such as:

Non tutte le ciambelle riescono col buco.

Literally meaning “Not all doughnuts come out with a hole.”... or mistakes happen