Photo diary

Today on my walks I ended up in the village of Addingham.  A small prosperous place with a shop, several pubs and plenty of traditional cottages and posh new housing estates.

Cottages with what looks like a traditional telephone box.

But it is in fact one of the new free libraries that are springing up.  Where you can take a book and leave your own books 

The village church of course.

One of the people I spoke with.

Parks and cottages.

On the way home on this humid day, I took a bus which was full of people and it stank like a public toilet.

Parents
  • It's great to see some beautiful pictures of the local West Yorkshire scenery. You've reminded me that it's been far too long since I visited to any of those places; Wharfedale was a common haunt for me when I was younger. There are some very pretty spots not far from me (Airedale/Calderdale borderlands), but I get stuck in such a rut of always going to the same places for the sake of avoiding anything remotely urban on the journey (if you've ever been stuck in Bradford Interchange of an evening, you'll know what I mean!)

• I know what you mean.

I have visited Bradford recently and it has improved.  But it still lags behind other towns.

Going into Bradford by both bus and train, makes me feel as if I'm in a horror movie of a post apocalyptic wastland, inhabited by zombies and mutants.

Skull crossbones

• It's a shame what's become of it since I first moved to West Yorkshire 30 odd years ago.  I lived there for a few years while I was (doing anything but) studying at Bradford Uni. For someone like me, not interested in huge events and lavish entertainment, it used to be a cheap place to live, with good amenities, excellent access to some of the most beautiful English countryside, and easy travel to two big cities if you ever needed that.

I'm glad to be out where the countryside is right on my doorstep nowadays - I couldn't stand the noise and the filthy air any more. I have to make a lot of economies to manage to live further out from any built up areas, and the poor state of public transport can be a complete pain, but I wouldn't move back down into the valley for all the tea in China.  I can get a nice view over the bowl of the city if I go up the right hill from here, and it's quite pretty on a twinkly night, but that's plenty close enough for me these days!

• It's a shame what's become of it since I first moved to West Yorkshire 30 odd years ago.  I lived there for a few years while I was (doing anything but) studying at Bradford Uni. For someone like me, not interested in huge events and lavish entertainment, it used to be a cheap place to live, with good amenities, excellent access to some of the most beautiful English countryside, and easy travel to two big cities if you ever needed that.

I'm glad to be out where the countryside is right on my doorstep nowadays - I couldn't stand the noise and the filthy air any more. I have to make a lot of economies to manage to live further out from any built up areas, and the poor state of public transport can be a complete pain, but I wouldn't move back down into the valley for all the tea in China.  I can get a nice view over the bowl of the city if I go up the right hill from here, and it's quite pretty on a twinkly night, but that's plenty close enough for me these days!

Children
No Data