Gestures

I have been thinking about gestures. When I was assessed the observation that I don’t move my hands while talking was commented on. Remembering that in the early nineties I read a novel by Milan Kundera called ‘Immortality’, that is about gestures -among other things- I fished it out and reread it. Kundera notes that given the billions of people, past and present, on this planet, the number of people far outnumbers the number of gestures, ‘it is difficult to suppose that every individual has his or her own repertory of gestures,’ mathematically it’s not possible. A gesture is more individual than an individual. This leads me to the belief that gestures exist in essence before the individual makes use of them. 

It has only been on very rare occasions that I have had to ask someone what a particular gesture means. From a young age we are taught to wave goodbye, we know that the Queen waves her hand while driving by, what a two fingered salute is, thumbs up, pointing, all the common gestures are decipherable. It’s the seemingly random gestures while talking I can find inexplicable even unnecessary.  When I researched the reason for these movements the main reason given is timing and pacing. 

Does this mean that those of us on the spectrum don’t use timing and pacing in our speech, or do we not augment the timing and pacing with gestures?  And why are ND’s just as capable as NT’s of producing original musical compositions, but don’t use pre-existing gestures to accompany their speech?

Sorry if that was boring.

Parents Reply Children
No Data