A Royal Wedding, Huzzah!

Good Fortune to all who may read.

I honestly have no idea why I begin this Thread, yet it is begun nonetheless, and I do feel quite strongly about it. I very much like and respect Queen And Country. And...This is my first and maybe last attempt at a POLL. (I might also expect this to be a very short Thread.)

What think anyone here, of Our Great Royal Family...?

Parents
  • As someone who holds quite left wing views I ought to dislike the idea of the royal family.

Certain aspects I do - the privelege, the fact that they are very much removed from reality (the idea that they think the land smells of fresh paint!).  But there is much to admire in our system.

In times of national strife, when the country is really at a loss, the royal family (the monarch) can express a view without it being taken as political.  Democracy has thrown up some really extreme and unsavoury characters.  Hitler was initially the result of democracy, and so was Robert Mugabee, and we mustn't forget Donald Trump.  Donald Trump is a fine example as to why an elected president is not a good idea!

I also enjoy the spectacle of our traditions.  The changing of the guard, the Trooping of the Colour, the State Opening of Parliament - we certainly know how to put on a show and it gives many people a lot of pleasure seeing these events.    The Royal Family do cost money - and it is a lot of money - but any other system would also cost vast sums.  Only today, Boris Johnson was saying how he thinks that secretaries of state should have access to a private aeroplane when on government business so just because someone is elected does not mean they do not have ideas that are expensive. 

As for the Royal Wedding itself, there has been a lot of venom spat about Megan.  As someone who does not know her, I have no opinion about her, but in any case it is not my concern.  Prince Harry is old enough to know what he wants and to make his own mistakes if it is a mistake.  Many people have made mistakes where love is concerned, but it is none of our business, we should not pass judgements as we do not know what goes on behind closed doors.  But from what I have seen, they seem very happy together, and I wish them well.

• As someone who holds quite left wing views I ought to dislike the idea of the royal family.

Certain aspects I do - the privelege, the fact that they are very much removed from reality (the idea that they think the land smells of fresh paint!).  But there is much to admire in our system.

In times of national strife, when the country is really at a loss, the royal family (the monarch) can express a view without it being taken as political.  Democracy has thrown up some really extreme and unsavoury characters.  Hitler was initially the result of democracy, and so was Robert Mugabee, and we mustn't forget Donald Trump.  Donald Trump is a fine example as to why an elected president is not a good idea!

I also enjoy the spectacle of our traditions.  The changing of the guard, the Trooping of the Colour, the State Opening of Parliament - we certainly know how to put on a show and it gives many people a lot of pleasure seeing these events.    The Royal Family do cost money - and it is a lot of money - but any other system would also cost vast sums.  Only today, Boris Johnson was saying how he thinks that secretaries of state should have access to a private aeroplane when on government business so just because someone is elected does not mean they do not have ideas that are expensive. 

As for the Royal Wedding itself, there has been a lot of venom spat about Megan.  As someone who does not know her, I have no opinion about her, but in any case it is not my concern.  Prince Harry is old enough to know what he wants and to make his own mistakes if it is a mistake.  Many people have made mistakes where love is concerned, but it is none of our business, we should not pass judgements as we do not know what goes on behind closed doors.  But from what I have seen, they seem very happy together, and I wish them well.

Children
  • Thank You for this reply, Mister. I would quote parts, but there is too much with which I agree. The "Spectacle of our traditions", I like this a lot, too.

I think that there is some actual LAW which prevents Our Royal Family from interfering with "Politics/Political-Politicians"... or something. This is one reason why they do charity work and support Armies, but they cannot really stop (current) politicians from doing work which is very un-charitable, and it is as if the two factions are remote from each other almost to the point of opposition...? (Royals vs. Government.)

Politics is a bad + complicated topic to discuss however, and so I only mention it, there. Is this Thread over with, now...?