Why does the autism logo keep changing? & what is it?

Hi I thought I would start this thread because I am getting a tattoo of the autism logo, and on searching I found there are a few so which is the real logo? For many years it was the puzzle piece which I see most of, but the National autistic society logo is different and they sell pins and badges with the purple and pink logo on this site, then there is the autism awareness which is a ribbon with the puzzle piece pattern, IV seen butterflies, trees, and I’m a little lost, which is it? 

Parents
  • As far as I'm concerned, the autism symbol is an infinity sign in rainbow colours as seen at the top here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_rights_movement

The jigsaw puzzle piece idea is rejected by almost adult autistic advocates for several reasons, not least of which is that it became associated with Autism Speaks, as US organisation that is seen as regressive, stigmatising autistic adults and focussing on scare tactics to raise funds, and which has a blue jigsaw piece as a logo.  Blue is therefore also rejected as associated with autism.  The puzzle piece was originally designed in the 1960s by a parent because they were told autism was a psychiatric 'puzzle'. Autistic people didn't choose it themselves, and many find the idea of being a puzzle demeaning. The spectrum represents the wide variety of autistic or neurodiverse characteristics, and seems quite popular, although it could also be in the form of a heart or so on. I think infinity was meant to represent creativity, as well as retaining what was good about the ribbon.

Other people can explain in more detail why NAS selected its logo. I'm fine with the current one and like the colours.

• Hmm, if you hadn't just explained it I would have read "forever gay" into that one... Would suit me too, but guess it's not the point of the tattoo.

Reply Children
  • you would think the national autistic society would use it if it were the right one

I presume the NAS wants a separate identity as a charity & as a service provider, from the identity of 'autism'. Keeping them separate seems right to me. The NAS logo speaks of 'caring' to me. It's not claiming to represent autism, or all autistic people, and it does more than raise awareness.

Maybe there's not a single 'right' image to represent autism, and as you say people could be encouraged to come up with ideas that speak to them. Probably holding off from the tattoo is sensible in the mean time.

• think that's the idea, the spectrum of visible light, which is those colours as you can see every time there is a rainbow :)

• Iv never seen that logo, its all to confusing, you would think the national autistic society would use it if it were the right one, so can only assume its the one their using, maybe i will have to send them a message and ask them. Yes i agree its very similar to gay pride the rainbow colours, not something i would want as a tattoo because id worry people would think im gay, not sure why multi colours are used, i would have said yellow is the best colour to use because of its meaning - the spectrum of visible light. I can understand the puzzle piece not agreeing with everyone, maybe a maze would have been more reasonable it’s how we see the world different, or even a yellow planet, mayb they should have let us vote on a logo and come up with ideas, I think I will just hold off for now.

• Yes, I think other people have mentioned the resemblance to the rainbow flag, although that's not a bad thing, an analogy of inclusion and diversity. I'm straight, but being autistic I might qualify as 'queer' in a sense.

'Forever' is closing the loop of the ribbon, and resisting the need for a 'cure'.