need to help my 4 year old with his talents

My LO is 4 and recently identified as Mildly Autistic. he has a language delay but developing his vocabulary now.

He is surprisingly talented in music ,numbers and has a very good memory too. He is our only child and we need to support him to find a way to develop an interest that could help him long run to cope with his condition. But we don’t know how to start.

If any of you knows that how we can help him develop his skills in music maths etc..

Any idea or a advice is higly appriciated.

Parents
  • Lessons might be a way forward but the structure might be a bit of a problem. Try him with a few first.

If I could ask does your son have a talent for hearing if things are in key? There is a lot of evidence that some people with ASD have a thing called absolute pitch. They can play in key without much training. Another plus is that he can learn maths and music simultaneously. Playing music all entails maths. 

It might be good to get him a durable cheaper keyboard like a Yamaha PSR F51 it's around £70 and has over 100 sounds, a drum machine built in and built in speakers plus a headphone socket. It's built well too. I had a mess around on one a few months ago. I think you'd get a few years out of it and when he gets a bit older it would still be a useful instrument. Some of the Casio synths are good too and cheap. I do like what I saw of the Yamaha though!

There is also a thing coming out called a BlipBox that is basically a modular synth and a drum machine for kids. It looks like a toy but has some features that he would learn from. He would learn to program a synth rather than play conventionally. However it wouldn't have the same longevity and I would say that it could make some random sounds that might be a little irritating for yourself and could scare him.

I'd say making electronic music is a bit of a lifesaver. I can get lost in it all.

I'd say if he's getting creative let him go wild! If he has an interest encourage it, a lot of parents don't realise how theraputic it can be. I've got to say I like your way of thinking and looking for something he can continuously develop and have fun!

• Lessons might be a way forward but the structure might be a bit of a problem. Try him with a few first.

If I could ask does your son have a talent for hearing if things are in key? There is a lot of evidence that some people with ASD have a thing called absolute pitch. They can play in key without much training. Another plus is that he can learn maths and music simultaneously. Playing music all entails maths. 

It might be good to get him a durable cheaper keyboard like a Yamaha PSR F51 it's around £70 and has over 100 sounds, a drum machine built in and built in speakers plus a headphone socket. It's built well too. I had a mess around on one a few months ago. I think you'd get a few years out of it and when he gets a bit older it would still be a useful instrument. Some of the Casio synths are good too and cheap. I do like what I saw of the Yamaha though!

There is also a thing coming out called a BlipBox that is basically a modular synth and a drum machine for kids. It looks like a toy but has some features that he would learn from. He would learn to program a synth rather than play conventionally. However it wouldn't have the same longevity and I would say that it could make some random sounds that might be a little irritating for yourself and could scare him.

I'd say making electronic music is a bit of a lifesaver. I can get lost in it all.

I'd say if he's getting creative let him go wild! If he has an interest encourage it, a lot of parents don't realise how theraputic it can be. I've got to say I like your way of thinking and looking for something he can continuously develop and have fun!

Children
No Data