Non Autistic Partner Here! Best Ways To Communicate?

Hello, I am a non autistic woman in a relationship with an autistic guy, we're in our early 20s, I graduated college last year and he's just finishing up his final year now.

We've been dating for about three and a half years, living together for 1 and pretty much everything has been really smooth sailing as far as I can see only recently we've been at loggerheads a lot more because I've been unemployed since graduation and really struggling monetarily, and he's also very stressed because of course he has to hand in his dissertation soon while also working on his final project. I feel like both our stress has been manifesting in us being very snappy at eachother which is not our usual MO

We had a big fight this evening, I was crying over money woes and he just got up nonchalantly and when I asked where he was going he was just like "I've got *** to do" and of course this really really upset me. I suffer quite badly from depression (as does he) and anxiety so I had something of a screaming mental breakdown. When I collected myself I went downstairs and confronted him as to why he'd leave me alone when I was clearly in such a state, his reasoning was he just couldn't leave the dishes unwashed any longer, and he wanted to eat the leftovers of dinner that I'd cooked because they were "made with love". In the moment I was completely baffled he saw my feelings over dinner I cooked earlier as more important than the large breakdown I was having at that moment, I got very upset, but we talked it out and he says that if there are other things on his mind he just HAS to deal with them first otherwise he doesn't feel "safe". Also that when I'm in a state like that he finds excuses to get out of the situation rather than just directly saying that it's overwhelming him which I'd much rather wish he did. It took a lot for me to get that out of him and when he does this it comes across as indifference or sometimes even irritation at my feelings. I'm a very sensitive person to tone of voice and facial expression so it effects me really badly.

Sorry if this is too nebulous a question but what's the best way we can communicate over these issues, how can I tell him to let me know he has other things on his mind that are making him panic without him coming across like he doesn't care about me. Also I sometimes worry that when he is struggling with depressive thoughts he doesn't come to me or anyone even, or doesn't know how to word them, but of course I don't want to badger him if maybe there isn't actually anything wrong in the moment! I do my absolute darndest to communicate but obviously that's not gonna do much if I'm not speaking in a way he understands so I need some help now that things are a bit more stressful for both of us. Anyone been through anything similar, any advice from autistic adults on how you communicate with your partners? Sorry if this is a bit rambly and if I've said anything insensitive please let me know

Thanks loads~

Parents
  • I think we as people on the spectrum tend to focus more on practical stuff and less on emotional issues. Perhaps he thought that continuing to argue with you wasn't doing either of you any good, but doing the dishes and eating leftovers is at least a productive way of spending his time. I also often completely get the focus of a situation wrong and end up upsetting someone, even though I am considering their feelings. I will give advice about some situation someone has told me about when all they really want is for me to say "that sucks", or whatever. It sounds as though he cares about your feelings but is having trouble showing it.

I think that if you try to focus more on what is practical, you will see things more from his point of view. Similarly, he could consider your emotional state more, though keep in mind that it will be difficult for him to do so.

• That's true - it's sometimes seen as a man/woman thing ("Men are from Mars" etc), but equally might be autistic/NT (or being high or low on the 'agreeableness' dimension of personality).

Both solution-focussed and emotion-focussed attention are worthwhile, but solutions before showing you understand the problem can be unhelpful. I think people can learn emotional intimacy in a crisis. A funny phrase that I found perceptive is:

Don't just do something - be there!

• That's true - it's sometimes seen as a man/woman thing ("Men are from Mars" etc), but equally might be autistic/NT (or being high or low on the 'agreeableness' dimension of personality).

Both solution-focussed and emotion-focussed attention are worthwhile, but solutions before showing you understand the problem can be unhelpful. I think people can learn emotional intimacy in a crisis. A funny phrase that I found perceptive is:

Don't just do something - be there!

Children
No Data