Penalty notice for unauthorised holidays

This is my first post please be kind my punctuation and spelling is not great

My husband and I have just received penalty notices for my 12 year old ASD son as we took him on holiday during term time my son can not deal with crowded places and lots of over excited children we obviously want our son to experience every opportunity we can give him but find if we take him away during school holidays it is too stressful and overwhelming for him so we have no choice but to take him during school term time when it is quieter and he can enjoy his break away. My son is in mainstream school and the school are well aware of why we take him away during term time. Has anyone else had this issue and is there anything we can do about the penalty notice as it states we have no statutory right to appeal but feel there is exceptional circumstances for the leave 

Parents
  • You say the school knows of why you take your son away during term time, but did you specifically inform the school beforehand that you would be taking your son away for those particular dates? Did you request reasonable adjustments regarding the absence policy? If you took your son away without informing the school beforehand, that's one thing, but if the school knew your circumstances and still gave you a notice, that's pretty strange.

• You say the school knows of why you take your son away during term time, but did you specifically inform the school beforehand that you would be taking your son away for those particular dates? Did you request reasonable adjustments regarding the absence policy? If you took your son away without informing the school beforehand, that's one thing, but if the school knew your circumstances and still gave you a notice, that's pretty strange.

Children
  • We informed the school and requested the leave back in September last year for March this year they are well aware of his needs and we stated on the holiday form why we were taking him during school term is it the school who issue the notices I was under the impression it was the local authority x